The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Getting ready to ride... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/getting-ready-ride-135066/)

Librahorsegal 08-18-2012 09:51 PM

Getting ready to ride...

How long does it take you to tack up your horse and get yourself ready to ride?

I think it takes me 10mins to get ready. I havent timed myself..but im guessing 10mins.

After im done grooming. I fly spray him. Then put the martingale on. Then put the saddle pad/saddle on. Put girth on.

Go into the tack room and put on my half chaps,safety vest, and grab my helmet,gloves,and bridle. Put bridle on horse and head out of the barn.

:)

Cinder 08-18-2012 10:05 PM

Getting myself ready to ride: About six minutes.

Grooming/Tacking: If I'm taking my time, about twenty minutes. If I hurry, maybe ten or somewhere near there.

Almond Joy 08-18-2012 10:07 PM

It takes me about 15 mins on average, but if I were able to groom as much as I want/didn't have a lesson time, I could groom for a solid 45 minutes then take my time tack (Bridle, saddle, saddle pad, half pad, girth, brush box, sometimes towel). Then I go and grab Sonny from the pasture, brush her and tack her up. Then I throw on my half chaps and I'm ready to go! After my ride can sometimes take a bit longer because most of the time we have to hose off...

boots 08-18-2012 11:41 PM

I can do six polo ponies in 35 minutes, but hate having to go that fast. With wraps and tails... it's really pushing it. I don't feel that I'm getting to look the horses and the tack very well.

I quit grooming for the player who always ran late.

Meatos 08-19-2012 08:19 AM

I like to take my time with it. Between really getting into grooming (I'm anal but also I really enjoy it) and also getting to know the people at my barn (i.e. chatting!), I try to arrive for a lesson 30-45 minutes in advance and I usually arrive fully suited up so I don't have to worry about getting myself ready on top of it all.

So in the 30-45 minutes, that includes bringing all my tack and grooming supplies into the barn, bringing my horse in from the paddock, grooming, and tacking. I like to have my horse warmed up before my coach walks into the arena too.

Although yesterday, I hit traffic and arrived five minutes before my lesson. Of course it was the one time I didn't gear up at home before getting in the car. We were both ready to go in about 15 minutes because I thankfully had a friend with me and my horse was in his stall.

Hidalgo13 08-19-2012 08:57 AM

Takes me 15 minutes if I hurry, or 30 if I do a deep grooming session. :)

boots 08-19-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 1651035)
I can do six polo ponies in 35 minutes, but hate having to go that fast. With wraps and tails... it's really pushing it. I don't feel that I'm getting to look the horses and the tack very well.

I quit grooming for the player who always ran late.

I don't know why I posted about the one jerk that made me rush. lol

To answer the question: Personally, I take about 15 to 20 minutes to clean and tack up. But then there are those lazy summer evenings when I'll hand dry them, spend a lonnnng time on tails, etc. I love those times.

DimSum 08-19-2012 01:49 PM

I take about 15 minutes because my beginner spouse is realllllllly slow about getting his horse done so I end up helping him LOL. Since we mostly trail ride, the boys get the more through grooming when we are done.

Skyseternalangel 08-19-2012 03:03 PM

30 minutes because I take my time and make sure every speck of dirt is off of him (he's white but I don't want rubs!)

princecharming 08-20-2012 05:02 PM

i can get my horse and i ready in 2 minutes flat. (timed it) but we only do that when we are going hunting because we are ALWAYS late.

i would say i usually take about 30-35 minutes on a regular day.