The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Public vs Private Schools (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/public-vs-private-schools-135093/)

kitten_Val 08-19-2012 10:42 AM

Public vs Private Schools

Just want to hear opinions, personal experience, and pros and cons.

Public schools in my area are considered to be one of the best in country, but people still send kids to private schools, which is expensive and not always possible to afford (BTW, are there loans like for college?).

tempest 08-19-2012 11:13 AM

In my area the public schools are over crowded and give only the minimum education required. Where as te private schools offer a better education but also for a hefty fee. There's also the fact that most of the time a religion or branch of Christianity is attached to the school which also pushes some people away from it. While the education may be better the environment isn't always the friendliest and it's extremely strict, lots of rules which they don't like it if you find loopholes.

Cinder 08-19-2012 11:28 AM

In my area the public schools are (in my opinion) pretty good. There are a few private schools but I don't know a lot about them. I know one is a Catholic school.

Currently I'm in High School. Fights are very rare. The teachers are (in general) kind and good at their jobs. We have a good sport program and there are a lot of extra curricular activities and clubs. There are a lot of classes offered. There's also a thing where you take a college course for a certain amount of money and get the credits. I forget what it's called, though. There are AP and honors classes, as well as an honors program.

We aren't crowded, either, at least for what I'm used to. In Elementary, Middle, and High School it's always been about 25 kids in a class.

Daisy25 08-19-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1651322)
Just want to hear opinions, personal experience, and pros and cons.

Public schools in my area are considered to be one of the best in country, but people still send kids to private schools, which is expensive and not always possible to afford (BTW, are there loans like for college?).

The student loans for prep/private schools have been mostly phased out.

We were disappointed in the public schools here - couldn't afford private school - so opted to do an online public school at home.

It's great and the curriculum is fantastic!

kitten_Val 08-19-2012 11:30 AM

Thanks for info, folks!

Yes, all private schools I know of in my area are religious.

kitten_Val 08-19-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisy25 (Post 1651371)
so opted to do an online public school at home.

How interesting! I haven't even heard about such a thing!

Yes, I just asked about tuition in private ones and it was high. Almost like in public univ. I believe you can put tax-free money into some account to later cover the school tuition, but I didn't look into it (yet).

Cinder 08-19-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

We were disappointed in the public schools here - couldn't afford private school - so opted to do an online public school at home.
How does that work?

Taffy Clayton 08-19-2012 12:36 PM

I went to an all girls, private Sacred Heart, school K-12. I loved it, we wore uniforms hence no clothes budget needed.

My parents had 8 children in private scools at the same time, I will not say it was easy. I ate peanut butter and jelly everyday of my life, there were no restaurants, heck half the time you had to look very hard to find meat in the "beef" stew.

We all worked work study at school to help pay for tuition, the older kids often pulling double duty, for the younger ones.

My parents drove 15 year old cars, while all the other kids in my class got a new car for their 16th birthday.

We lived in the "country", to my classmates anyway, they all lived in town. There was definatly a difference in tax brackets between myself and my classmates.

I however got a great education and I can go anywhere in the world there is a Sacred Heart school and be welcomed as part of their family.

I was a bit of a problem child growing up and I fear if I had gone to a public school it would have been a disaster, the school and the fact that I knew what was sacraficed by my family kept me in line, sort of.

My senior year of HS, I was expelled, because I made a nun cry. I have never seen my mother so angry, she said "I did not sactafice every dime we had and drive you 30 miles to school everyday for 12 1/2 years to have you graduate from (public School). You are to go to that school and get down on your hands and knees and beg with all of your heart for forgivness, or do not come back home. Wow!! This time I think see means it.

I went to school and gave the preformance of an Acadamy Award winner and got reinstated, but could not go back to my Algebra class with said nun, and detention for the rest of the year. But I graduated from that school.

There were 60 girls in my class.

Foxhunter 08-19-2012 04:36 PM

In the UK the big difference between the public and private schools are the number of children in each class. Most private schools have as few as 10 and certainly no more than 20. Public schools the classes can be double that.

Discipline in private schools is stricter, teachers are often better and facilities greater. Sports are encouraged.

I know that if I had children I would rather they were privately educated then in public schools.

Daisy25 08-19-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinder (Post 1651400)
How does that work?

Google "Online Public Schools".

Depending upon your state - a number of options should come up. You will probably find K12 Programs and Connections Academy as well as any online courses offered by your local school district.