The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Had a Little Pony Round Up This Morning

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  grayshell38 
#1 ·
So I was in my kitchen this morning, cleaning out the fridge, when my neighbor called and said the horses pastured around the corner from us were out and walking around the road. There is a pasture where a guy keeps up to a dozen horses in a kind of swampy, not nice to look at set up. However, the horses are all well fed. Apparently he rescues them and just keeps them until he can find them homes, though he doesn't actively look. He doesn't live on the property, no one does, but there is a caretaker who lives down the street.

My neighbor who was out to run errands stopped at the caretakers place to let him know, but he was at church. So she called me.

So off to my barn to grab some halters I went, calling 911 as I went because at the very least we needed traffic control so no one got hurt. I jumped in my Jeep and slowly drove around the corner. As I drove by the property I saw a bunch of the horses still in the pasture so thought they had been caught. A couple of hundred yards down across the street I came on 4 horses calmly grazing on someones front lawn.

So I pulled off, put my hazards on and hopped out. As I was slowly walking down the street to go up the driveway in front of them, another car stopped and a nice older lady jumped out asking if I needed help. So I said sure!

We approached the 4 with handfuls of grass and they came over to investigate. I was able to easily halter this sweet little flea bitten grey gelding who calmly stood still. The other lady, who only had a dog leash got that over the head of another and we walked over to my car to grab my other halter and lead. The other 2 kept grazing.

We got my big ole' draft halter over the head of the other and then taking the lead, I started walking down the road with Blackie, as I discovered his name to be later. Blackie was a doll, the other one a bit more of a handful. The other 2, after we got about 20 yards away came trotting after.

At some point, the other lady slipped the halter off her charge as it really didn't fit. And the three followed me and Blackie nice as you please, stopping from time to time to snatch some grass from the side of the road. Cars started coming up the road from either side but we both waved our arms and they all stopped nicely as we continued down the middle of the road.

We got to the pasture gate and 2 minutes later the caretaker showed up. I was in a bit of a chute with 3 loose horses behind me, the gate in front of me, two sides of electrified pasture fence with Blackie to one side of me. I was a bit nervous as the pastured horses came up and squealing and posturing ensued. Blackie stood calm as you please between me and the other 3 so it was ok. And I was totally prepared to hop over the gate if I had to. The gate was to a lane between pastures so it would've been safe.

We got them put away and I introduced myself to the caretaker who joked, ah you picked the calmest one to capture. I said, well, you get the calm one and the others follow. I then said what a cute little guy he was and the caretaker said...you want him? I said I wouldn't mind taking him home and he took my number to give to the owner. So who knows? I may have a flea bitten grey to add to my collection. LOL We shall see.

After I walked back to my car and turned for home, I saw the police car had stopped by the caretaker, so I stopped to say I was the one who called and the young officer said, looks like they're all in. And he thanked me and said, he was glad they'd been caught because he wouldn't have had a clue what to do! LOL

So alls well that ends well!

See less See more
#6 ·
first of all, I shuddered to read "cleaning my fridge". That has got to be one of the nastiest jobs around. I abhor, detest and despise it!
Yeah...an ugly job but someone's gotta do it. :-p I actually left the garbage bag in the middle of the kitchen and ran out mid job. DH was out and got back while I was playing catch-the-loose-horse. He hadn't a clue where I got to!

I'll certainly come back and update if Blackie ends up in my pasture. I've already decided if he does, his color will be turquoise! :wink:

#10 ·
I agree, catching loose horses sounds way better than cleaning the fridge! Good for you helping them out Lori. Do let us know if you end up with a new family member :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.