The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Crystals foaling thread (Mini baby!) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/crystals-foaling-thread-mini-baby-135131/)

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-19-2012 07:09 PM

Crystals foaling thread (Mini baby!)

5 Attachment(s)
Our miniature horse Crystal is going to have her foal!

She is due in september approximate date being the 9th , she was paddock bred so no way to know for certain.

She is quiet big at the moment and her boobs? udders? are changing a little, no milk development but they are a bit longer.

Here is Crystal, our soon to be mummy.

I also included a photo of Goldie, the father

rookie 08-19-2012 07:20 PM

Oh Baby Mini! They are super cute. That said, I would be extra careful on foal watch. Mini's due to their small size are prone to trouble delivering live foals. The chances of you saving the baby are slim if the mare has trouble (you only have about 45 minutes from the start of labor). Still, getting fast help can save the mare.

Also, the standard issue baby mini is on average 10 times fuzzier then any other foal. Its like the miniature horse womb is subject to sub-artic temperatures with the amount of hair the come out with.

I hope you have made plans to geld the father or separate them unless you plan to get into the mini business. Mares go back into heat 7 days after foaling, which means you can have a pregnant mare 7 days after foaling.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-19-2012 07:25 PM

The father is not with the mare anymore rookie. They have been separated!

We already have a bet organized who has done mini deliveries.
We have also got experience with both good mini foalings and one breech dialing where the said vet was able to pull the foal and save mum.

We have blankets for it if needed or if we can clip the foal if that's needed also.

Hope that has addressed all your questions :)
Posted via Mobile Device

rookie 08-20-2012 05:47 PM

I do have one more question. You will post pictures after your baby is born nice, fuzzy and cute as a button right!:D

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-20-2012 05:56 PM

Of course :P haha I can't wait
Posted via Mobile Device

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-21-2012 04:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After a long grooming and defluffing session i took some photos of Crystal

Seperated from the heard except for Gypsy now, eating all her special food and pigging out! Apparently she was very hungry today.

Included an obligatory boob shot, what small boobies!

blue eyed pony 08-21-2012 04:57 AM

she's not big. Not as Mini's go! She's a looooooonnnnnngggggg way off yet I reckon.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-21-2012 05:01 AM

Yeah? What do you think how long?
Posted via Mobile Device

blue eyed pony 08-21-2012 06:49 AM

I don't know, no experience with foaling myself but on another forum I frequent there is a lady who breeds mini's commercially and her mares are always ENORMOUS before they foal. I don't think you have an August baby, or even September. Not going on size. But don't take my word for it!

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 08-21-2012 06:58 AM

She's due early/mid September. When she had her last foal she wasn't very big that i recal :/

Will be a waiting game lol :P

Our neighbours have had a few minis/Shetlands foal this year and there were some huge and one that didn't even look pregnant.

I do agree though, googling photos some mare I'm seeing are enormous!
Posted via Mobile Device