The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   riser pads? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/riser-pads-13514/)

TurboCharged 08-17-2008 08:42 PM

riser pads?

I'm having difficulty finding a riser pad to raise the back of my saddle enough when i'm on it. I need a good inch of compressed padding to rise the back of my saddle enough. Any suggestions?
The saddle fits him perfectly but not me so rather than worry about finding a new one that potentially won't fit him i'm looking at riser pads to make this saddle work.

Arrow 08-17-2008 08:57 PM

Instead of an extra pad, what about one of the Cashel wedges? They make reverse (thicker in front), and regular--an inch in back, a half in in front. You use it over a regular pad. Is this English that you're looking for? I think all one piece is the way to go. I was just looking at Cashels today. Check out this website:
http://www.tackroominc.com/cashel-cu...acturers_id=97

Arrow 08-17-2008 08:59 PM

But on second thought--I'm not sure I understand your post. What do you mean, it fits him but not you? What kind of saddle, what do you mean? Do you have any pics?

TurboCharged 08-17-2008 09:30 PM

Sorry, typed too fast. The back of the saddle is too low, which causes me to slide my leg foreward and my upper body to lean foreward-to find a balance point-(and at the trot post off my horse's mouth eek). My coach has okayed the fit for my horse but says the saddle is contributing to my issues instead of helping me ride correctly. I need to find the right wedge/half pad/riser pad to correct this. I tried the cashel wedge pad but it didn't quite give enough lift when i sat in the saddle(it compressed a little). It is a dressage saddle by the way.

Can't find any good pictures to illustrate my saddle fit issues.

JustDressageIt 08-17-2008 10:16 PM

Hmm... sounds like you might have to go saddle shopping. If you get a riser pad, it will probably change the way the saddle fits the horse's wither, as it will probably tilt the saddle putting more pressure on the wither.. does that make sense?
What about a skeepskin saddle cover for yourself to add some bulk on YOUR side of the saddle?
Just a thought... if not, then Cashel does make some nice rear riser pads...

Arrow 08-17-2008 10:20 PM

That's my opinion, too. If the saddle fits the horse...then the saddle fits the horse. Anything you do to it means that it won't fit the horse as well. What sort of problems could you be having that a saddle that fits your horse could cause? Either get a new saddle that also fits your horse, and fits you better...or get a new coach.

TurboCharged 08-18-2008 10:43 AM

The saddle has cutback withers so no problems there and with almost enough padding for me still is fitting him good. The problem is i've been looking for something more suitable but have come up with nothing(under 500 looking at used that i can try on my horse before buying).

I've got the best eventing coach in my area who is trying to make my saddle work for both me and my horse. So no i'm not going to change coaches.

iridehorses 08-18-2008 11:01 AM

Sounds to me like you are trying to make an ill fitting saddle work for you. Just because your saddle is cut back and doesn't come down on his withers doesn't mean it isn't pinching him. If your saddle is too low in the back it is because it is too narrow in the gullet - period. I'm afraid that your statement about the saddle fitting him perfectly is wrong. If it did you would not have this problem.

I would rather work with a saddle that is a bit too wide then one that is too narrow.

I realize that money is tight but in the long run you are doing damage to your horse and it may eventually show up in behavior problems or physical ones.

TurboCharged 08-18-2008 11:08 AM

The saddle is too low in the back because of his conformation(ie high withers and a bit of a sloping back). Anyway going to get pics to illustrate the problem areas and why my horse is a hard to fit horse.

If anyone can find a saddle that'd fit him in canada please feel free to post it but i've yet to find something that will.(other than custom)