The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Understanding the question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/understanding-question-135151/)

Copperhead 08-19-2012 09:47 PM

Understanding the question

I was at the barn today. Horrible ride with a good ending, but that's not the story.

I was talking to a woman who was there and had her horse boarded inside. Raina was hooked onto the wall and the other woman had her horse on the other hook. I board Raina on pasture board. She gets grass and all the hay she could ever want, along with 24/7 turn out to be in a herd environment. She also has a wooded area to the large field and a lean-to for shelter.

She's fat and happy. Maybe just slightly pudgy, but not grossly over weight that it would effect her health in any way.

When I can afford more, I plan on bringing her into the barn for my own convenience. But that's not for another couple months and again, she is thriving on outside board.

Anyways, I told the woman, who boards her horse inside, that Raina was boarded outside. She asked me "How do you feel about that?"

I wasn't sure how to respond. How -should- I feel about that? I never saw a problem with it. Raina is fat, happy and healthy. Should I be unhappy that I'm not boarding inside? I really didn't understand the question.

This is Raina as of 4pm today
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88836194_n.jpg

And this is her a couple days ago, coming in front the pasture
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...53287100_n.jpg

The only thing I'm really not thrilled with is the Mohawk I had to give her because she rubbed the middle of her mane down from the round bale feeder. I just matched the rest of her mane to go along with it. But I'm honestly not too concerned about it. At least she isn't covered in burrs! Lol

themacpack 08-19-2012 09:49 PM

I suppose I'd have asked her if she could clarify just what she was asking - or perhaps ask her how she felt about her horse's boarding arrangements. I'm a fan of 24/7 turnout, so I can't say I think you should feel bad at all about her being on pasture board - or that I'd be in any big hurry to spend the extra $$$ to move her inside.

Saskia 08-19-2012 09:56 PM

Yeah i'm a fan of keeping horses in paddocks too. At my old place we had stables that I could use any time but I preferred to keep her out 24/7.

Some people think that because they prefer to live inside horses do too.

It's no denying that stables can be helpful, but I think they are far from necessary, or to me even preferable.. This woman probably just thinks differently.

AlexS 08-19-2012 10:20 PM

It's hard to know what she meant, it could be that she was asking how it works with feeding or herd dynamics.

Or it's more likely that she is super opinionated and thinks that her way of doing things is the best way ever, and anyone who does anything differently is just plain wrong or ignorant.
I believe this is more likely because the horse world is chocked to the fill level of this type of person, and it's supremely annoying (to me at least).

I personally believe it's better for horses to be out. I board my horse so he is out 24/7 with the option of a stall in seriously bad weather. Your horse looks to be in great health, if anything she's on the tubby side. Don't worry about the snotty woman.

PhelanVelvel 08-19-2012 10:23 PM

Meh. In my opinion, horses are meant to be outside. I don't really understand the point of keeping them in boxes. They're not Barbie horses. Yes, I understand sometimes health or circumstances and such means they need to stay in a stall. But if a horse is healthy and happy outside, what is the point in keeping them in? I wouldn't want to be cooped up, staring at walls. *shrug*

Copperhead 08-19-2012 10:37 PM

She is slightly tubby, which was actually a relief to me because I hadn't seen her in almost a year. I trust my barn manager but I know pasture board can be hard for some horses. I was happy to see that she was thriving on it. At least she is ready for winter, right?

I prefer horses be outside as well. Right now with my schedule, it wouldn't benefit anyone to bring her inside. One day if things come a but easier and I have the time to constantly ride her, I might bring her inside. But that doesn't look like anytime soon and I'm still not sure Im a fan of the idea.

My horses have always been outside. When I was training, I kept the training horses inside. Personal horses always stayed out though.

AlexS 08-19-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1652033)
She is slightly tubby, which was actually a relief to me because I hadn't seen her in almost a year. I trust my barn manager but I know pasture board can be hard for some horses. I was happy to see that she was thriving on it. At least she is ready for winter, right?

Absolutely. If given a perfect world, I'd rather have a horse in ideal weight all the time - but that's just not very realistic. I'd much rather have a bit tubby than underweight. When you get more time to ride, you will work that weight off her in no time. Yup, she's in great shape for winter.

DancingArabian 08-19-2012 10:51 PM

Some people feel bad about horses being outside all the time and not having a stall. I don't know why they do but some do.
Posted via Mobile Device

Copperhead 08-19-2012 11:12 PM

I talked with her for at least an hour and she seemed like a nice, well meaning woman. Horses aren't pets to me though. They're livestock and work animals. I explained to her that if Raina ever dipped in weight, I would bring her in. But she's not underweight, so she's alright.

I suppose I fall in a group at the barn who isn't privileged enough to have a stall. All the lesson horses live outside with my horse. A young girl who lost her grandfather (who paid for her board) had to put her horse outside because it was cheaper. Every other boarder has a stall. I guess I was unaware that I was one of the "less fortunate". Must have passed over my head since I usually ride alone and haven't been there too often except for the last two months. Barn gossip and status symbols. I don't need that stuff.

Sharpie 08-19-2012 11:31 PM

I'm pretty sure my horse would prefer 100% pasture board over the stall he has. The only reason he comes in is that we bribe him with food. Stalls make people happy but they make horses crazy (weaving, wood chewing, cribbing, etc).