The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Overly spooky thoroughbred (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/overly-spooky-thoroughbred-135159/)

erinwalk 08-19-2012 11:08 PM

Overly spooky thoroughbred

Help! I recently bought an OTTB and he is the greatest! he is lazy as can be and just an all around lovebug BUT when i take him off property he is a totally different horse. Last horse show he kept rearing up and striking out at me. He is a big boy too. He is fine up at the trailer and is calm like he is at home but as soon as he goes near the ring/all the commotion he spazzes and looses his mind. does anyone have any suggestions on ways to calm him. I dont wanna have to drug him because i feel like he wouldnt learn to relax. is there a supplement that works fast (something i can give him the morning of) that will calm his nerves? Any suggestions would be great!:???:

AlexS 08-19-2012 11:11 PM

Can you ride him out with another horse? Sounds like he just needs to get comfortable with things. If I were you I'd take him to smaller shows with no intention of competing just to get him used to it.

There are calming supplements but I think experience helps more.

erinwalk 08-19-2012 11:15 PM

yeah i can ride him in basically any situation at home and at his first horse show he was a saint, a little startled in the beginning but calmed when it was time to go in the ring.. but his second show he couldnt keep all 4 feet on the ground. he is also coming off of an injury so i dont want him injuring it again... all the shows i have taken him to have been tiny schooling shows. nothing major

Oxer 08-19-2012 11:17 PM

^^ I agree.

When i first got my horse he was pretty rank. He would rear and was pretty scary, to say the least.
I changed his feed (grass hay only), started him on some SmartCalm pellets, and began some serious ground training. It's been a year, and we went to our first big show about a month ago. He was an absolute dream! But it takes time, and you have to put the work in.

In a pinch, this stuff works pretty darn good.
SmartCalm® Ultra Paste - Horse Calming Supplements from SmartPak Equine