The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What to use on dry/cracky hooves? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-use-dry-cracky-hooves-135235/)

MeganJoey57 08-20-2012 05:59 PM

What to use on dry/cracky hooves?

Just got a rescue and his hooves are in good shape but are very cracky around the toe. They are very dry and brittle looking. Supplements are very expensive so I've been looking for cheaper ways to solve the problem. I have been using hoof heal and I haven't noticed really a change yet. Ive heard pine tar works great! What are yalls opinions on pine tar? Is it something I should try? I'm really considering it. I've also heard of the gelatin thing, but I don't really wanna try that. Thanks!

Saddlebag 08-20-2012 06:13 PM

Anything you paint on the hoof wall is useless. If he is just getting small chips and cracks that is just the hoof ridding itself of excess hoof material. Good hooves come from the inside. If you are feeding anything as well as grass or hay, switch to Senior's. He doesn't have to be old to benefit. It has extra oils, beet pulp for weight gain and probiotics for digestion. If you feed two lbs 2 x daily you will begin to see a difference in his coat in a month's time. It's too early to know if it's helping his hooves. The difference will be in the new growth at the top. You should see it at about 3 months time. You can also add 1/4 cup of just vegetable oil to the pellets. He may not like it so split it between two feedings. This can be increased to 1/2 cup daily.

Blackburn 08-20-2012 06:45 PM

true hooves are best kept form the inside out i use a just a little more to help my problem footed horse.

A horses hoof is like your finger nail. the best way to maintain it would be vitamins and eating right. just like ahorse. but also like us we can add things to help it from the out side. the best thing i use for my horses (and my self) is olive oil. you can get a bottle really cheap and it adds moisture back to the surface allowing a protective barrier while the inside grows back.

also try asking your farrier. depending on your climent and how you use your horse makes a big difference. if you ride alot on trails consider shoes so he cant knock his feet on rocks chipping um up. if you do mostly arena riding, he may need to be barefoot to let his normal moisture content balance.

Hope this helps. :)

MeganJoey57 08-20-2012 06:50 PM

A horses hoof is like your finger nail. the best way to maintain it would be vitamins and eating right. just like ahorse. but also like us we can add things to help it from the out side. the best thing i use for my horses (and my self) is olive oil. you can get a bottle really cheap and it adds moisture back to the surface allowing a protective barrier while the inside grows back.

also try asking your farrier. depending on your climent and how you use your horse makes a big difference. if you ride alot on trails consider shoes so he cant knock his feet on rocks chipping um up. if you do mostly arena riding, he may need to be barefoot to let his normal moisture content balance.

He's a 2 year old and hasn't been started under saddle yet. He gets 12% pellet feed which the vet told us to feed and he also gets daily vitamins (I forget the brand). But we live in the south and it's hot and humid and lately it's been raining quite a lot. People have told me
Pine to keep in moisture, do you think
It'd work?

Blackburn 08-20-2012 06:59 PM

like pine bedding? i dont like using it personally but it might.

how long has he been on the feed you have him on? cause it will take a few months for the hoof to grow out to the good stuff.

Rain is bad when its been this dry lately it pulls to much moisture out of the hoof.... Id stick with what hes on and add the olive oil. put moisture back in the area to protect it and keep the balanced diet you have on him going....

MeganJoey57 08-20-2012 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=Blackburn;1653067]like pine bedding? i dont like using it personally but it might.

how long has he been on the feed you have him on? cause it will take a few months for the hoof to grow out to the good stuff.

No, I meant pine tar lol. They make it for horse hooves. He's Been on the feed for about a month, It may just need to grow more, I'm not sure. I'll try and go to the store and get some olive oil, do you rub it on hooves or mix it in with their feed?

AllyCee 08-20-2012 07:43 PM

My aunt horses have really dry feet. When I asked the farrier about it he told me to let the water troughs run over. That way they had to stand in water and let their feet get wet while they drank. So far their feet like pretty good!

PaintHorseMares 08-20-2012 07:51 PM

There is nothing wrong with dry feet, and I wouldn't apply any topical treatment that affects the natural moisture balance of the hoof. A good diet and trim are the best things you can do. Depending on the weather, terrain, and riding, chipping and surface cracks are typically cosmetic and don't affect the horse at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blackburn 08-20-2012 07:54 PM

i dont like using tar cause it doesn't do anything but sit on top, the olive oil soaks in.
you just paint it on the hoof like a tar or hoof paint when you put it on if hes really dry you can see it begin to soak in. apply once a day try it for 2 weeks if no result the you dont have to carry on with it.
yeah if hes only been on it a month he will need a little more time. a normal hoof to grow all the way through for a young horse takes about 3 to 4 months.

AllyCee... the water Trough Idea sounds good :)... just watch for thrush!

ozarkmama 08-21-2012 12:19 PM

My farrier reccomended applying plain baby oil to the hooves, seems to help.