The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane and tail hellp please? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-tail-hellp-please-135252/)

xxDreamxBigxx 08-20-2012 09:43 PM

Mane and tail hellp please?

what is a homeade or cheap way to keep your horses mane and tail healthy? my horses mane is kinda frizzy and it doesnt look good! Please help!

justjump 08-20-2012 10:42 PM

Try MTG, mane and tail, or my personal favorite, lucky braids shampoo. That's the best there is! It's $25 a quart but it does the best job I've ever seen.
Posted via Mobile Device

ozarkmama 08-21-2012 01:59 PM

Plain old Olive Oil from the grocery store works wonders. I bought small bottles at Dollar General for $1.

Hoofprints on my heart 08-22-2012 01:37 PM

well i use a tail wrap in top and i also use olive oil and wash it on a basis such as once a week

luv2ride 08-22-2012 03:40 PM

I use plan old baby oil in a spray bottle. Spray it one and comb it through. A dear friend of mine swore by this and it works!

InsaneDino 08-22-2012 10:39 PM

I agree about the olive oil. It's also good for your own hair. ;D
Wet the frizzy parts down and use a soft brush to brush the hair down flat. You may also find braiding to help.

Lockwood 08-22-2012 10:49 PM

When I bought my horse last fall his mane was thin, dry and frizzy. Tail was pretty sad and dry too.
I have been feeding him about 1 tablespoon of flaxseed a day for 6 months now and the new growth is thick, healthy, strong, soft and as shiney as horses going in the show ring coated with mane and tail shine enhancers.
I have never applied anything topically (although I am not against them) and he does still have a few fuzzes on the tips, but otherwise it is a pleasure to run my hands through his mane and tail now.

HorsegurlHR 08-24-2012 12:46 AM

Hmm...i will have to try that olive oil trick! Also make sure to rinse the tail out really well after washing or the hairs will get frizzy. My horse rubs her tail as well when there is left over conditioner-not a pretty sight!