The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bringing un-injured, pasture kept horse back to work? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bringing-un-injured-pasture-kept-horse-135258/)

16HHPocketPony 08-20-2012 09:42 PM

Bringing un-injured, pasture kept horse back to work?

Hi All! :-)

After a life of anticipation, I have finally gotten my first horse!!! YAY!!! :D
She's truly my dream come true!! <3

She's a 5 YO Thoroughbred rescue mare, never been raced. She was trained by her initial adopter--She rides like a dream! (Unfortunately her original adopter was partially paralyzed in a car accident and had to return her to the rescue :-( If you want more information on her or her history, please ask! I don't want to waste anyone's time on unimportant information unless this information is desired or helpful to answering the question :-) )

She has been pasture kept though unworked for the last 8 months or so due to the owner of the rescue's pregnancy. They only used her for trail riding prior to that though.

I'm looking to school her, up to canter and jumping at some point.

I know I need to bring her back into work slowly--though I've seen many varying plans. I was wondering if anyone had input on how I should bring her back into work, specific to her :-)

Jezebel and I thank you!! :D

Taffy Clayton 08-20-2012 10:18 PM

I am pretty sure a photo would help asses the situation.

As far as getting back to work, Heck I would do it like I was doing it to myself, start slow, lots of walking, bending and a bit of trotting. Work on up from there.

smrobs 08-21-2012 12:14 AM

How I get mine back into shape for work after extended time off is I just throw my saddle up there and start riding again. I don't push them too much right at first, but a horse that is pasture fit can easily handle a couple of hours at walk and trot with a bit of canter thrown in. After that long out of work, I wouldn't ask for much in the way of collection, but being supple and responsive is a must.

16HHPocketPony 08-21-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 1653271)
I am pretty sure a photo would help asses the situation.

As far as getting back to work, Heck I would do it like I was doing it to myself, start slow, lots of walking, bending and a bit of trotting. Work on up from there.

Unfortunately, my pretty lady isn't coming to her new home until the end of the month, and me being my idiot self (or overwhelmed by finally finding the one) that I COMPLETELY forgot to bring a camera along or even take pictures with my cell phone! *Facepalm* I'll be able to get pictures up on Wednesday--I'm going back out to hang out with her before she comes home :-)

Great, thanks! that sounds like a good plan! :-)

16HHPocketPony 08-21-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1653402)
How I get mine back into shape for work after extended time off is I just throw my saddle up there and start riding again. I don't push them too much right at first, but a horse that is pasture fit can easily handle a couple of hours at walk and trot with a bit of canter thrown in. After that long out of work, I wouldn't ask for much in the way of collection, but being supple and responsive is a must.

YAY! I definitely like this plan. In one of the books I was reading it said that they needing a strict plan composed of 2-3 weeks walking, then introducing trot at 3-4, and then MAYBE canter at 5-6. Seems ridiculous to me! (Plus...I don't want to wait that long to see what my little lady can do...:-P)