The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Best Wire to use for fence (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/best-wire-use-fence-135294/)

bdefosse 08-21-2012 10:52 AM

Best Wire to use for fence

Hey all,

My wife decided we needed horses, so we now have two that we are boarding. We have an acre of really nice grass that we hope to move them to soon. I'm building a 3 rail wooden fence and have all the 4 X 4's up with 8' spacing. I had planned on putting electric along the inside top rail. We should have the fence completed in about 2 weeks, but we would like to move them home now. I was thinking about putting electric only up now, until I finish with the wood. Now the Question, what is the best wire to use? I was looking at the 9 wire Polywire from Horse.com, but I have not been able to find any reviews.

My wife has me into horses now, hook, line and sinker.

Thanks for your help.

QtrBel 08-21-2012 12:36 PM

I'd suggest tape over wire for visibility. Make sure it is adequately grounded so it delivers the shock intended and teaches them tape isn't to be messed with. We've used several brands, sizes and number of wire for conductivity and they all pretty much ahve been more than adequate. The top of the line 5 year heavy duty fence bought for my drafts as temporary fencing is still in use. Some of the cheaper brands we've bought haven't lasted that long but We've gotten years more use than advertised. It is all about keeping the horses off of it. Once they know it bites if it bites hard enough they will avoid it. Now if your horse can hear the charge then you have to make sure it is always charged. I have a couple that listen for it and if it is off then they will take advantage. One walks politely through without damaging a thing the other takes as much fence down as he can possibly manage I think purposefully...

PaintHorseMares 08-21-2012 02:12 PM

I would use 1/4" white polyrope. If your horses mind electric fences, you can get by with 1 strand, 3' high, believe it or not. We've used this for our 4 mares for years without a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

bdefosse 08-21-2012 03:08 PM

Thanks

Both horses do mind electric fences, and it would be great to get by with just one line. If I could put one at three feet I could just move it up to the top rail when the wooden fence is complete. Thanks again

PaintHorseMares 08-21-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdefosse (Post 1654121)
Both horses do mind electric fences, and it would be great to get by with just one line. If I could put one at three feet I could just move it up to the top rail when the wooden fence is complete. Thanks again

Here is a picture of part of one of our pasture areas (this one is about 2 acres) with a single 3' strand. They've grazed there everyday for years when there is grass and none have ever messed with it or tried to run through it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d...0/IMG_0676.JPG

hemms 08-21-2012 11:30 PM

^^I have the same on 3 sides of my 10 acre pasture, with a double-strand cross fence at 2 acres from the front, for wet seasons. We keep 10 horses successfully within, mares and geldings from ages 2 to 20. The cross fence will sometimes come down on the first overnight with a new integration. Horses to date have never been hurt and it's always been cheap to fix. LOVE it.

caseymyhorserocks 08-22-2012 03:51 AM

I had the 3 foot stuff to with Casey, 13.2 hand pony, and I upgraded it to 4 feet for Candy, 15.2 hand horse, but we have been having problems with her getting out... have been using the same electric rope /polywore for 3 years and no issues at all withit shredding or anything. Polywire is harder to see because its thinner but it breaks more easily than rope and can be easily tied together when it breaks. Rope is easier to see and harder to break and when it breaks you have to get a special thing that I think is called a splice.

Delfina 08-22-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1654561)
Here is a picture of part of one of our pasture areas (this one is about 2 acres) with a single 3' strand. They've grazed there everyday for years when there is grass and none have ever messed with it or tried to run through it.

That is WITH grass. Without, I bet you would be rounding up loose horses. My neighbors did the same fence and while there was grass, life was great. Once the grass was gone, I gained a whole bunch of horses in the middle of the night because I had grass at my place! :?

PaintHorseMares 08-22-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1655077)
That is WITH grass. Without, I bet you would be rounding up loose horses. My neighbors did the same fence and while there was grass, life was great. Once the grass was gone, I gained a whole bunch of horses in the middle of the night because I had grass at my place! :?

;-) Our mares always have a round bale in the main pasture, even when there is lots of grass. An old horse person once told me that always having food available is 90% of keeping horses where you want them, and I do believe that regardless of what type of fence you have.

bdefosse 08-22-2012 09:21 AM

Thanks all! Ordered the polywire, and should be ready to go be the end of next week.

Thanks again for all the help.