The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lump under the jaw. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lump-under-jaw-135299/)

Sadie00994 08-21-2012 11:21 AM

Lump under the jaw.

My 5 year old thoroughbred mare has a lump about the size of a big grape right near her right mandible, under the jaw, very close to the gland. It is semi-hard, free floating it seems, and she gets annoyed when I poke at it. I don't see how she could have contracted strangles since she never leaves the barn, but who knows. Are there any other suggestions for what it may be? She coughed a little while riding her today, but she never coughs in the stall or outside, she's eating, drinking, and being a pain in the butt just as usual.

Speed Racer 08-21-2012 11:32 AM

Could be a swelling due to allergies. My TB gelding gets the same thing, and it's definitely not strangles.

kait18 08-21-2012 12:07 PM

if it turns hard it could be a sign of a broken jaw. my gelding has a hard lump but supposedly they start out loose and free moving until the jaw starts to heal... i doubt it could be this in your case but it never hurts to double check and make sure there are no mouth issues :/

Chevaux 08-21-2012 12:14 PM

Horses can get 'goiter' which produces a lump in the area where the underside of the horse (jaw) meets the underside of the neck. It too has a semi hard feel to it and unless it is a severe case the lump will grow and shrink in response to the iodine the horse is getting. All most horses need is access to an iodized salt block (blue coloured where I come from) and they are fine. I have a mare with that problem and I also keep a little chunk of salt block in her stall oat bin so she takes in a few licks each day when she eats her oats.

Sadie00994 08-24-2012 03:58 PM

The "goiter" idea sounds plausible. I keep a salt lick with every one of my horses but with her I always forget to grab one. I also thought maybe a grass gland. I've been putting ichthammol on it and it has stopped getting bigger. Thanks for all the input!