The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Dog left on Mountain (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/dog-left-mountain-135312/)

wetrain17 08-21-2012 01:02 PM

Dog left on Mountain

This is a relatively recent story that made the news. It also brings much debate over the actions of the owner and if he should be charged.

Man Faces Animal Cruelty Charge After Abandoning Dog on Colorado Mountain - ABC News

As a dog owner I understand having to leave the dog where it was in order to get back down the mountain, but I would then call whoever I had to in order to help the dog, much like the hikers did who found the dog. It is easy for us to say that the dog should have never been on such a dangerous hike/climb, and I agree. However, I almost always take my dog for a hike when I go and I am put in far less dangerous situations and environments and there are times when I think something could easily go wrong. Luckily, I'm always prepared.

Thoughts?

Speed Racer 08-21-2012 01:06 PM

There's a difference in leaving your dog and sending help after the storm, than completely abandoning it. The owner did the latter, and deserves whatever cruelty charges are thrown at him.

He left the dog on August 5th, and someone else found her on August 11th. How is that not considered cruelty and abandonment by her owner?

BarrelracingArabian 08-21-2012 02:43 PM

I agree witg SR that man deserves cruelty charges and does not deserve to get the dog back. I take my dog on hikes occasionally but you bet my butt if i had to leave her i would be back as soon as possible to get her back no matter what it took to do so.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 08-21-2012 03:09 PM

I agree that the owner deserves to face charges for what he did.

I don't think the Sheriff's Dept. that was notified about the dog being stranded up there and also did nothing (because it wasn't a human) is any better. I can understand that *their* rescue team is reserved for rescuing humans but that doesn't mean that it's ok for them to just ignore the situation instead of actively seeking out another form of help for the dog.

aldebono 08-21-2012 04:34 PM

Someone would have to heavily sedate me to prevent me from going to get my dog. I would have been up there the very next day, if not the same day if I absolutely had to leave it on the mountain.

COWCHICK77 08-21-2012 05:26 PM

My dogs have gotten raw or cut paws in moutains working but if they always made it out. Had they gotten that bad due to the terrian I would have no issues with sacrificing a shirt or jacket to make some makeshift dog booties to ensure the dog came out.
Bad judgment call on the owners part.

SouthernTrails 08-21-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delfina (Post 1654216)
I agree that the owner deserves to face charges for what he did.

I don't think the Sheriff's Dept. that was notified about the dog being stranded up there and also did nothing (because it wasn't a human) is any better. I can understand that *their* rescue team is reserved for rescuing humans but that doesn't mean that it's ok for them to just ignore the situation instead of actively seeking out another form of help for the dog.

I agree the owner need some charges

I also am thinking the Sheriff's Dept. knowingly leaves a dog to possibly die, is that not animal abuse?

Yes, I do understand they have to rescue humans 1st, but it seems they would have time to save the dog or find someone that could....aghhhhh

Missy May 08-21-2012 07:08 PM

Throw the book at him!!! Sicko.

Poor dog! I think this poor excuse of a human being's "original" excuse would have made perfect sense, IF he had returned asap to retreive Missy and he could produce documented evidence that the "younger hiker" had been rushed to the hospital after they descended. If the younger member's "safety" was threatened, wouldn't it have been endangerment to have included them in the hike? Another charge...add it on!!!:)

On the flip side, wow! You go rescue team!!! That is all pure goodness! Give them a medal!

vera 08-21-2012 07:17 PM

That owner is so cruel. I couldn't imagine leaving my dog up there. The fact that he wants her back after he left her there for nearly a week is sickening. I hope they let her go home with the people who rescued her.

Chevaux 08-21-2012 07:33 PM

If I were the hiker, I would have left the young hiker behind and took my dog.....but that's just me.

There was a similar desertion case in Alberta (Canada) two or three years ago. This time, a man left two horses in the back country -- oddly enough he could make it out on his riding horse but his two pack horses couldn't. He too wanted the horses back after the fact. Long story short, a wonderful group of volunteers got the horses out, got them cared for and rehomed and the man was charged.