The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Sunny's Foaling Thread! :-) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/sunnys-foaling-thread-135331/)

Crossroadshorsefarm 08-21-2012 04:23 PM

Sunny's Foaling Thread! :-)

Hello All!
I am pleased to announce that my mare Sunny is 61 days pregnant! This is her first foal as well as mine!

A little history...
My mom bought me Sunny as my first horse when I was 13, I am 23 now. She has been the best horse and I love her to pieces, over the years I have been searching for another horse similar to her forever because I love her to pieces and wanted another horse to be able to carry on where she left off when she is gone as she is 17 years old now. After many horses, a friend suggested breeding her because the foal will carry on 60% of its mother's charactaristics. So I had her looked over by a vet and he said she was sound to breed. So I had a wonderful friend who loaned me her Cremello QH stallion. So needless to say I am super excited about her "bun in the oven" and to have a part of her when she is gone.

I will definately add pics of her and the stallion later!!

:D:D:D:D:D

leapoffaithfarm 08-21-2012 04:26 PM

Wish that i had been able to do something like that for my daughter with her first horse, but when we got her she was 26. the mare is now 36 and my daughter is 17 :-)

arrowsaway 08-21-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crossroadshorsefarm (Post 1654308)
because the foal will carry on 60% of its mother's charactaristics

I really don't mean to rain on your parade, but this is not true. Just because your mare is wonderfully tempered or conformed does not mean the baby will be. It could pop out as anything, barring genetic impossibilities.

I know that you wanted a piece of your mare to have when she is gone, but I can tell you right now you are probably going to catch a lot of flack for saying that. I just thought I should warn you so you weren't surprised if people got upset.

Anyway, here's to a safe delivery and a healthy baby.

smguidotti 08-21-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowsaway (Post 1654434)
I really don't mean to rain on your parade, but this is not true. Just because your mare is wonderfully tempered or conformed does not mean the baby will be. It could pop out as anything, barring genetic impossibilities.

I know that you wanted a piece of your mare to have when she is gone, but I can tell you right now you are probably going to catch a lot of flack for saying that. I just thought I should warn you so you weren't surprised if people got upset.

Anyway, here's to a safe delivery and a healthy baby.

It's so sad that she may "catch a lot of flack" since this is a horse forum for people to talk about . . . well, their horses.

I mean if anyone were to say anything mean they obviously didn't see the pictures of her mare in foal ;)

Can't wait to see pictures!

BellaMFT 08-21-2012 06:12 PM

Congrats..I hope everything goes smoothly for your mare and the foal. Starting a foaling tread at 61 days is going to make for a long pregnancy. :lol: My Mare foal in May. I am telling you from June until May was the loooongest 11 months of my life. I was so excited because that was my first foal as well. Now time is flying baby is now 3 months old. I can't wait to see pictures.

sommsama09 08-21-2012 08:58 PM

Congratulations! I am with you on this one... Having your hearthorse's foal to keep her alive, is something I also would do - no matter who said what. Can't wait to see pictures of Dam and Sire :smile:

smguidotti 08-22-2012 03:55 AM

I totally agree with you Sommsama09. I don't give a rat's @$$ about the opinions of people who put others down for wanting to breed ONE foal from their 'heart horse' as you said it. Granted, if my mare has craptastic conformation I would not but I am confident that my mare's conformation and disposition are qualities worth passing on to an animal I would only breed if I am positive about my future financial situation.

Crossroadshorsefarm 08-22-2012 09:17 AM

Well if there is one thing I have learned in life, is that there are always negative people and negative opinions. And I dont give a rats tail about what the negative one's think, I am going by what my vet says and what all the books I have read on breeding say. So no one has rained on this parade, nothing can stop the thrill and excitment I have for my future foal! :-) I am here for friendly advice and to share the excitment I am having of my mare being pregnant and having her first foal! Thank you for all the KIND comments! Will post pictures tonight!! :-)

fenta 08-22-2012 09:31 AM

Can't wait to see pictures!http://www.mt4forex.info/smile.gif

SouthernTrails 08-22-2012 09:52 AM

The last Foal we had carried a lot of the mothers Characteristics.
Attitude, Confirmation and a few others things, while the coloring was different the Attitude was the best part that was kept :-)

I am not a Vet or a Geneticist, but whether it is 40%, 60% or 80%, does it matter? To say that it is impossible to retain 60% would be stretching it, IMO

Let's keep to the intent of the Joy for the OP

Congratulations, may the pregnancy and birth produce a healthy Foal