The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   What kind of Dog? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/what-kind-dog-135337/)

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 08-21-2012 05:12 PM

What kind of Dog?

I recently started making trails through the forest on my property and enjoy riding on them either early in the morning or in the evening. I ride alone and am worried about my horse coming face to face unexpectedly with the wildlife in my area. I was thinking of getting a dog as a companion to go with me. I have allergies to long haired dogs so the dog would need to be short haired, and I would prefer a bigger dog. Are there any breeds that are better suited than others? I was thinking of a blood hound but have heard a lot of conflicting information on them and I definately don't want a dalmatian. Any suggestions?

Speed Racer 08-21-2012 05:12 PM

Labs looovvveee to go trail riding with their owners. :D

Just make sure your dog is properly trained, because Labs like to wander and you'll need a solid recall.

katbalu 08-21-2012 05:18 PM

I have one! Just walk through a pound. You might just see the perfect animal staring you in the face. My river came from a pound, and I can't imagine not having met him. He is a husky, but defies most husky traits. I cringe at the thought of me not getting him because of the list of husky traits that I didnt like. I do apologize for going slightly off track, because you were asking about best suited breeds, but please forgive me... I just wanted to share that.

Zeke 08-21-2012 05:46 PM

I have a shepherd/lab mix who is so loyal and ready to follow me anywhere, just like most labs to their owners. The mix of both breeds makes her so much of a pocket puppy with so much athleticism I bet she'd love to hike with me more. I'm with SR, I LOVE labs :) they shed a lot though, and I'm thinking you'd be just as allergic to that as a dog with longer hair?

Maybe a poodle, Airedale or schnauzer would work? All come in a variety of sizes are fairly smart and are bred to be outside movin around.

Pounds are a good place to start. I've known some great pound puppies!
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 08-21-2012 05:53 PM

I loved my black labs. We put them both down at age 15 after years and years of trail riding alongside the horses.

We also have a shepherd/lab mix from the pound that I can't let anywhere near the horses. On the occasion I bring him to the barn, I watch him like a hawk so he doesn't go off herding the horses. Not so much for their safety, but for his--would hate for him to be kicked by a 1600lb draft.

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 08-21-2012 05:54 PM

I am looking for a short haired dog

nikelodeon79 08-21-2012 05:56 PM

A lot of times short haired dogs shed more than long haired dogs, so I don't understand why you wouldn't be allergic to both.

Have you checked into the so called "hypoallergenic" breeds? I would actually recommend a Standard Poodle. They're very intelligent and great companions.

equiniphile 08-21-2012 05:56 PM

I know you say you want a large dog, but have you looked into Jack Russels? My two are incredibly loyal and perfect barn dogs. After hours running around, digging in the woods, and following me on trail rides, they have no energy to be destructive ;-).

Poco1220 08-21-2012 05:59 PM

Foxhound, Doberman, poodle (hypoallergenic), Weimaraner, blue/red Heeler, heck even pits can be good horse dogs! There's really no breed that WOULDN'T work. It's more of an individual thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelBunny 08-21-2012 06:05 PM

I *love* my Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. Not sure what the other half is.. we are thinking some kind of a hound. He always stays on my heels and I can call him off of anything. He doesn't chase any of the other animals and is friendly, but is wary of strangers. Little kids can crawl all over him, but yet he wouldn't hesitate to jump in between me and a 1200 pound, angry stud. (Yes, it happened. :lol: There was an electric fence between us.) He is short haired.