The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Good dressage saddles? Dutton RZ Wise Air? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/good-dressage-saddles-dutton-rz-wise-135419/)

Ashsunnyeventer 08-22-2012 11:52 AM

Good dressage saddles? Dutton RZ Wise Air?

I have had my Dutton RZ Wiseair XC saddle since mid July and I LOVE IT!! I had to get this new saddle because my old all purpose saddle didn't fit my old horse and was causing him back pain. Now my problem is that I have a jumping saddle, but not a dressage saddle!
I'm going to start eventing my 4yo soon, but we will be doing intro or elementary level. Do I need to use a dressage saddle for dressage or can I get away with my jumping saddle for a while?
I don't really want to buy a new saddle if I don't have to because the 4yo is still gaining weight and muscle and will probably change saddle sizes. Thankfully right now both of my horses are the same size and need a super narow tree.
Do you know of any good dressage saddles that don't cost a fortune and maybe have an adjustable tree? I was looking at the Dutton RZ Dressage saddle, but it costs A LOT!

kitten_Val 08-22-2012 12:08 PM

Ash, there are several consignment stores in MD you can look into. I agree that at 4 yo and put in work your horse probably will change quite a bit (both mine did). So you may look into something used on cheaper side you can use at the moment, and when he stops changing more or less, sell it and get something nicer.

Weezilla 08-22-2012 02:58 PM

I know Ebay is risky since most sellers don't allow a trial. But Skylands Saddlery does send their used saddles out on trial:

Used George Gullickson Canterbury Equation Dressage Saddle Size 17.5 Black items in Skylands Saddlery store on eBay!

I've also seen nice saddles on Ebay, if you know a certain saddle fits your horse well and have a fitter to reflock if needed.

That said, as long as your jumping saddle fits you and your young horse, I don't see why you cant use it.

The Dutton looks gorgeous!

Strange 08-22-2012 06:14 PM

At intro and elementary levels (and even up through novice) you'll be fine just using a jump saddle in the dressage. They won't penalize you for it at all.

That being said, since your horse is so young still definitely look for something on teh cheaper side if you're really set on getting a dressage saddle right now. Then, as your horse matures and fills out you can start looking for something a little more permanent.