The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   help with thoroughbred rescue! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-thoroughbred-rescue-135436/)

libbysmallbone 08-22-2012 02:28 PM

help with thoroughbred rescue!

Hey everyone!

I recently rescued a 17.3hh 2008 Thoroughbred gelding. He is about 250+ lbs under weight & he has a proud flesh on one of his back legs from a pasture accident. He had sand stuck in his digestive tract which I have managed to get rid of with Sand clear. His hooves were trimmed WAY too short so he hobbles around uncomfortably & I am afraid he will get some abscesses if I leave it like it is now. I don't really know what to do. I have rehabilitated horses before but this boy has shown to be a little more difficult. He HATES it when I try & work on his proud flesh & will get really uneasy. Any ideas? Should I get shoes for him so he is more comfortable? I need your help! :-)

What he is being fed right now: (which has slowly been introduced over time)
Unlimited access to fresh hay, fresh water & a protein salt block. Slowly being introduced to rich green grass.
Three times a day:
Two scoops of Dumor 14%.
1/4 scoop of Alfalfa pellets.
1/4 scoop of beet pulp.
A cup of Calf manna.
Farnam weight builder.
Once a day with his night feed:
A cup of corn oil.
Apple a day.
Aspirin.
Lysine.
Sand clear (2nd week just to make sure all the sand is gone!)
Electro dex.
Vita-biotin crumbles.
MSM.
Farnam Vita-plus.

Should I be changing what he is being fed to help him gain weight & muscle? Once his feet are better I am going to start ground work (lunged, ect.) with him to build muscle but until then he is just being grazed by hand.

So what should I do for the proud flesh?
His hooves?
To build his weight?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

poppy1356 08-22-2012 02:54 PM

Ok where to start.

First, get rid of the corn oil, it promotes inflammation. Flax or fish oil is best.

Scoops are useless. It needs to be weighed. A kitchen scale costs $7 at walmart. Smart investment.

Asprin and MSM are the same thing, why is he getting both?

Farnam weight builder is most likely overkill at this point, I would take that out.

Lysine? What is this for?

Electro dex? What is this for?

And lastly what has the vet said? If he's a rescue you need to have blood pulled. I went through this with my rescue mare this summer. Blood showed full of worms and also very anemic. If the organs aren't functioning it doesn't matter how much you feed him. A vet workup is in order.

This is what I feed my rescue mare who is now about 50 lbs away from ideal weight. And she started 350lbs underweight.

Morning:

4lbs Safechoice original
1/2 lbs HealthyGlo rice bran
30cc Red Cell
1 scoop msm

Night:

4lbs Safechoice original
1/2 lbs HealthyGlo rice bran
30cc Red Cell
1/2 cup Flax seed oil

kctop72 08-22-2012 02:55 PM

Wow, that's quite a bit of stuff you got going into him:) I'm not an expert by any means but the only thing I see that stands out is corn oil. I recently read on a different thread, it is bad for the horses digestive system and there were other oils such as flax seed are better for the horse, depending on his/her diet. I found the thread very useful, if you want to check it out it's "adding oils to your horse's feed".

libbysmallbone 08-22-2012 02:59 PM

Thank you! The place that I got him from was giving him the corn oil. I personally don't like it & am weaning it off of him. She also told me to keep him on aspirin so I just kept it. He is going to the vet this week to get checked up on & to see what I can do for his proud flesh. I just wanted to see what you guys suggested.

EDIT: & I am using the Lysine for muscle build up (it worked wonders on my TB a few years ago) & the electro dex as an electrolyte because he has gone through a lot of change this past week & I was told to try the electro dex for electrolytes & to help for stress. Also, the scoops have been measured out. He is getting roughly 8 lbs of food per day.

poppy1356 08-22-2012 03:02 PM

From my experience with a rescue organization, they haven't a clue what is actually good.

Take the asprin out. Besides most likely not having a proper dose I would be afraid of causing issues by giving human asprin to a horse. MSM is the equivalent of asprin in horses. But at only 4 years old there should not be a need for that at all.

libbysmallbone 08-22-2012 03:10 PM

haha. Ok! I was kind of thinking that when she showed me everything but she told me that the vet told her to do it??!?

poppy1356 08-22-2012 03:13 PM

I went through one hell of a mess at the beginning of the summer due to the "rescue" lieing about to many things. From my experience they take one or two words the vet said and make a sentence with it. Ever play telephone in grade school? It's pretty much like that. Only take what a vet says to truth if you hear it directly from them, and then if it sounds weird get a second opinion.

libbysmallbone 08-22-2012 03:21 PM

Ok! Thank you for the input. :)

deserthorsewoman 08-22-2012 03:23 PM

Wow, that IS a lot of stuff....:-)
I agree with poppy, vet check first.
I had really great results with nutrena life design senior for getting my 300lbs underweight QH mare up to weight. Plus Omega Horseshine. VERY pleased with that. It contains flax, and yeast and it has put a shine on her that makes you squint and she feels like she's been sho-sheen-ed. You might want to Google that, it takes care if a bunch of issues you're dealing with.
I'd also have the vet check for arthritis, since you were told to give a painkiller(aspirin) and MSM.
The electrolytes are only needed if he is sweating a lot. He should get his needed minerals from the feed and a saltlick.
With the senior feed and the horseshine you could get rid of 99% of the supplements you're currently giving. And I bet it's cheaper, too.

As for the proud flesh, have the vet look at it, it might have to come off and be pressure bandaged until it heals up.

Feet...typical TB feet, I take it. A set of light racing plates might help him to grow enough new horn to be comfy without shoes later. Right now he shouldn't have to deal with any pain, since pain will slow the weightgain.

Judging by what you currently feed, you must be buying at TSC...they carry the senior feed and the omega horseshine, too :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

6W Ranch 08-23-2012 03:13 PM

I love projects like this & agree w/what you're feeding. I'd keep the processed feeds down as little as possible. Straight psyllium husk is better and cheaper than Sand Clear. Main thing is you get more bang for your buck. Sand Clear has a lot of sugar. You can get psyllium husk at health food stores. For the proud flesh, Resolve Wound Formula is the best. Will get rid of old proud flesh on a wound, and prevent proud flesh from forming. It used to be called Wilhorse. Take a look at what it did for this filly: Resolve Wound Formula

For the hooves, soaking in warm epson salts, and packing with ichthammol will work wonders fast. Both salts and ichthammol draw out pain, and increase blood flow.