The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Looking for a new place for my horse (a rant). (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/looking-new-place-my-horse-rant-135555/)

Bennett 08-23-2012 12:34 PM

Looking for a new place for my horse (a rant).

I'm moving a few hours from where my horse is currently boarded and am desperately looking for somewhere else to put him. It has become abundantly clear that there are intensely limited options when it comes to places to put him nearer to me. As in, I've only found two potential boarding facilities within a half an hour radius and only one had the decency to return my messages.

I went to look at the only one who'd email me back yesterday and I was overwhelmingly excited about it. They are only about fifteen minutes away and have an indoor as well as a few outdoor arenas and they're whole property is fenced incase of a horses escape. Walking around the facility there were a few red flags but nothing that would have been a reason not to trust them with my horse.

I was up front and completely honest with them about my needs and about my horse's issues. I explained that I am not interested in showing and that my horse does have some behavioral quirks. I explained in exactly what ways I'm a pain-in-the-ass-boarder and everything seemed to be going alright and they seemed excited about having me.

This morning I get an email that says "I'm sorry we are not best suited for you, good luck."

I can not help but assume that this is a weight related. Being a plus size rider I've come to realize some discrimination in the equine field is not only tolerated but also completely encouraged. They dropped a few comments about my size and asked specifically about my horse's build in such a manner that I'm reasonably assured that they're turning my boarding application down because of my weight.

Like I said, I had a few huge red flags about this place my self and it's probably for the better that I'm not going to be boarding there but it's literally the only boarding facility that is close enough to my new location that I could keep working with my horse during the business week. Now, not only do I have to find a place to put him I need to either have him in full training or find a half leaser.

Speed Racer 08-23-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 1657069)
I was up front and completely honest with them about my needs and about my horse's issues. I explained that I am not interested in showing and that my horse does have some behavioral quirks. I explained in exactly what ways I'm a pain-in-the-ass-boarder and everything seemed to be going alright and they seemed excited about having me.

These are the red flags to me, not your weight. You admitted up front that you had a difficult horse, and you can be a PITA.

They probably thought it over, and decided they didn't want someone whose horse as well as themselves appear to be high maintenance.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about your weight, for you to jump to the least obvious reason for why they wouldn't want to take your money.

cowgirl4753 08-23-2012 12:45 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm lucky to have my horses in my back yard. It's hard to believe that people would be so immature to turn down a good boarder because of their weight. Here's to hoping you find something soon
Posted via Mobile Device

Bennett 08-23-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1657080)
These are the red flags to me, not your weight. You admitted up front that you had a difficult horse, and you can be a PITA.

They probably thought it over, and decided they didn't want someone whose horse as well as themselves appear to be high maintenance.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder about your weight, for you to jump to the least obvious reason for why they wouldn't want to take your money.

Actually, I was explaining to the trainer where we were and what we were looking for when it comes to taking lessons. Her specialty is dealing with trouble horses and she has five or so on the property with similar issues to the ones I described.

My PITA quirk as a boarder is being mildly anal about knowing where my horse is and not showing up at the facility and not being able to find him as well as insisting that if the vet is called for my horse I receive a phone call as well. Being that this is supposed to be a full care facility neither of those things are at all over the top.

The comments they made about my weight, such as "is your horse stocky enough to carry you?" and "did you know any extra weight on a horses back can cause serious problems?" were much more in line with reasons they wouldn't let me board there.

Thanks for your comment though.

DancingArabian 08-23-2012 12:57 PM

Where are you? Maybe someone on here has a suggestion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bennett 08-23-2012 01:12 PM

I'm looking for a place in or near Greeley colorado.

Delfina 08-23-2012 01:26 PM

How large are these places that you can't find your horse? I've never not been able to find mine when I boarded him and the BO rotated turnouts based on horses medical conditions, weather, footing and whatnot so he generally was never in the same place 2 days in a row.

I also can't imagine a facility that *wouldn't* notify you of your horse needing a Vet. I was always notified if for no other reason than they wanted me to haul my butt on down to the barn and spend MY time waiting for the Vet, then holding my horse and then paying the bill!!

How far from Greeley are you willing to travel? There's a nice facility in Loveland I know of.

An awesome one in Ft Collins but no indoor.

I'm not very familiar with places in Greeley.... Ft Collins, Loveland and Wellington yes.

Bennett 08-23-2012 01:28 PM

Delfina,

I've been at places where the vet was called for an emergency and I wasn't notified until a full twenty four hours later.

As for size, this particular property was a half a mile by a mile.

cowgirl4753 08-23-2012 01:47 PM

I worked at a large barn 80+ acres, with 20 some different pens and the BO was always switching where peoples horses were. It was a pain cuz the owners would come to me when they couldn't find their horses. I would then have to explain where it was or go get them myself and endure the questions.on why the horses weren't in the other pen.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintedFury 09-05-2012 11:29 PM

Have you thought about calling them and asking why? I sure would be, but I'm kind of blunt, direct (whatever other adjectives could go here) like that though. But the way I see it, is I can lose weight, can they fix being a stupid arse? Like Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.
Posted via Mobile Device