The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Tall boot brands/sizing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/tall-boot-brands-sizing-135640/)

Gilly 08-24-2012 04:45 AM

Tall boot brands/sizing

Forgive me if this is in the wrong area but it's related to horse showing kit so I figured I'd chuck it here.

Basically I have short legs and big calves. I got a calve measurement done:

Height: 39cm (just shy of 16 inches)
Width: 38cm (15 inches)

I'm using a tape measure so mightn't be 100% accurate, but I digress.

I've heard bad things about Ariats so I'm looking around for other brands. I've heard mountain horse do good boots so I'm thinking about buying from Dover Saddlery as they have a money back guarantee.

I want to know how much tall boots tend to drop. I'm looking at these:
Mountain Horse® Firenze Zip Dress Boot | Dover Saddlery

And I cannot figure out if I should go for the short regular or wide. I'm a size 7. I don't want them to be too short once they drop!

What do the pros here think? They're just for schooling but I've ALWAYS wanted a pair of tall boots and I'm looking to make an investment.

Or does anyone have a good recommendation for other brands? I'm willing to spend $300 - $350 including shipping. I'd love a pair of customs but I just can't afford it.

Edit: I can get them stretched which was what I was going to do with a pair of Ariats but these boots have a better size range.

StopSquareSalute 11-15-2012 04:45 PM

Pull On boots are the way to go. A good brand Pull On will usually last much longer than a Zip, Zippers break pretty easily.
I have a Ariat Challenge Pull Ons, I LOVE them.
Add an inch or two to your height measurement as the boots will drop, and I don't mess with my calf measurement. I prefer half a shoe size bigger in Tall Boots but that is a personal preference. If you wear thick socks you will need to buy a larger shoe size.
I love tall boots and I wear mine always for schooling, since they are more slippery than chaps they also help build a better leg. I prefer the feel of Tall Boots and there is nothing wrong with buying a pair for just schooling. :wink:

crimsonsky 11-15-2012 04:59 PM

i have the step up from those boots - the VICTORIA DRESSAGE BOOT Mountain Horse USA and i love them. i originally ordered them in the 7 wide calf and the footbed was WAAAAAY too big for me so i sent them back (ordered through smartpak) and got the 6 wide calf instead. much better fit in the foot for me (i have very narrow feet) and the calf is snug without being too tight. LOVE THEM. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

ETA - mine have dropped only a fraction of an inch at this point but unfortunately for me i've only been able to ride in them a handful of times so i'm sure that's got something to do with it. for me though, they're a great height at the moment - only slightly tall and into the back of my knee.

Rachel1786 11-15-2012 09:42 PM

I believe these are the boots I have Ladies' Ovation™ Finalist Pro Field Boot | Dover Saddlery and I absolutely love them. I'm sure pull ons last longer but I've seen people trying to put them on and take them off and boy does it look like a pain! I've been riding in mine 1-3x a week for the past nearly 2 years and I do have a feeling I'm going to have to replace the zipper on one soon as it separates and gets stuck sometimes. I'll pay to replace the zipper before getting new boots tho, they are still in great condition and are very very comfortable and didn't even take long to break in!