The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   New Part Loan Horse.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/new-part-loan-horse-135643/)

ElaineLighten 08-24-2012 05:05 AM

New Part Loan Horse....

I went to see a horse yesterday for part loaning, just one day per week to start off with, for 10 per day plus 35 for half shoes every six weeks.
I consider my riding level to be a mid - higher novice.
He's absolutely gorgeous, a 14.1HH new forest gelding...but he's only 4. The owner said to me don't let it put me off, he's a complete gentleman and has already won a handful of shows (in hand and ridden).
I asked if I could see her ride and jump him, and he looked very good! He looked a little wiggly going to the jumps but that was his only fault I could see.
I didn't think I would be riding so I was wearing skinny jeans. She asked me if I wanted a ride and I thought...hmm got a hat and boots in the car...yeahhhhh!
I got on him, and I don't know if it was what I was wearing, maybe because I was cold too, but the saddle seemed majorly uncomfortable. It almost felt like it was too small or something. The horse was an absolute star however. I only walked and trotted because I didn't want to take things too fast before I knew him and how he moves. But he was incredibly responsive to my leg, and was on the bit at all times. He only needed a squeeze of the hand and a little leg pressure to change direction with loads of bend.
I feel like I could progress with him...she says I have to opportunity to show, go cross country etc, should I let an uncomfortable saddle hold me back?
Maybe I just need to get used to him to sit in it better?
Here is Woody in action!
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...44367594_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...23714073_n.jpg

Saskia 08-24-2012 08:02 AM

To me, that saddle (if it was the one you rode in) does not look good for the person riding and it seems to encourage a not so good position.

I think that with some all purpose saddles (which that looks like to me) they can put you in a not great position.

I don't know what I would do. The last saddle I was using was too small for me, and I ended up not riding for a month or so until I bought a new one that suited my purposes, rather than riding in it. It just effected my riding so much. So I don't have much advice, if the only option was to use a badly fitting saddle I'd probably not ride it regularly, but as I have a couple of saddles I'd try to use one of my own.

But if you're not comfortable, its unlikely to get any better.

ElaineLighten 08-24-2012 06:07 PM

Thanks for your reply
I think I'm going to give it a go for a couple more rides, she did say that she was going to buy a new saddle soon, maybe if it's still uncomfortable I'll let her know that the current saddle style is just not right for me
Also the saddle pictured was the one I rode in (is it me or is it short?)

Copperhead 08-24-2012 06:33 PM

I'm sorry, I know this thread isn't about what I'm gonna mention, but I have to say it.

That rider needs to stop sitting on her hands. Even during the jump. He would appreciate a more forgiving handset.

Ok, I just needed to get that out of my system. Crotch hands drive me batty! Not as bad as knee hands though!

I think he's a charming little guy. He definitely fits the show ring. All purpose saddles can be tricky to ride in since they are a mix of dressage and jumping. Dressage wants your leg way back, jumping demands a more forward leg (not major, just a bit more). Same with the seat. Dressage saddles want you to sit deep, jumpers want you out of the saddle. Combining these contradictions into one saddle can cause havoc on your position. Probably why you aren't comfortable in it. You might be able to find a cheap saddle online that will fit your needs. I'd check around.

ElaineLighten 08-25-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1658861)
I'm sorry, I know this thread isn't about what I'm gonna mention, but I have to say it.

That rider needs to stop sitting on her hands. Even during the jump. He would appreciate a more forgiving handset.

Ok, I just needed to get that out of my system. Crotch hands drive me batty! Not as bad as knee hands though!

I think he's a charming little guy. He definitely fits the show ring. All purpose saddles can be tricky to ride in since they are a mix of dressage and jumping. Dressage wants your leg way back, jumping demands a more forward leg (not major, just a bit more). Same with the seat. Dressage saddles want you to sit deep, jumpers want you out of the saddle. Combining these contradictions into one saddle can cause havoc on your position. Probably why you aren't comfortable in it. You might be able to find a cheap saddle online that will fit your needs. I'd check around.

lol! Yeah I noticed it a bit too... not that I can point it out to her at my level of riding!!!
I'm going to ask her what type of saddle it is next time I see her, I've never had this problem before.
Where I go for lessons I'm sure they use all purpose saddles on all the horses...which is why I found it a bit strange that it was so uncomfortable.
I wonder how much a saddle will set me back...

OwnedByAlli 08-25-2012 08:07 AM

Skinny jeans can be a bugger to ride in, but that saddle looks too small, and is pushing her legs forward, her hips back and her shoulders then fall forward. There isn't a vertical line between head, shoulder, hip and heel.

As for fitting a saddle to the rider, you should be able to put most of your palm between your butt and the end of the cantle, and same at the front. Some people prefere a slightlt bigger/smaller saddle but this is a general rule of thumb.

A new saddle could set you back a few hundred quid :/ Look on ebay- the prices vary hugely but her 'buy it now' prices are generally a good guide. If the owner does decide to get a new saddle, ask if you could perhaps be taken into account too. Ask to have a ride in it before she buys it to see if it fit you as well and the horse and owner.

ElaineLighten 08-25-2012 11:42 AM

Thank you, maybe I will offer a contribution to the saddle if my needs are met as well as hers :)

ElaineLighten 08-25-2012 03:28 PM

Update!:
I spoke to the owner today and she said she's definitely getting a new saddle with a bigger seat next weekend. She's getting it for her birthday (lucky!)
Here's hoping it suits us both!

CLaPorte432 08-25-2012 04:06 PM

889 Attachment(s)
Hes pretty.

But, hes only 4. Why is she jumping him so high and extensively already?
Posted via Mobile Device

ElaineLighten 08-26-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1659583)
Hes pretty.

But, hes only 4. Why is she jumping him so high and extensively already?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've never owned before so don't have much knowledge on the right ages to do things.
She said she only jumps him around 2 foot at the moment, and does a lot of pole work.
I don't think I'll be jumping him until I'm completely comfortable with him, when I can hold a 2 point in walk, trot and canter over poles. Definitely want to work my way up slowly with him and really enjoy him!