The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What is the best way to brush a tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-best-way-brush-tail-13565/)

nascarcats 08-18-2008 08:09 PM

What is the best way to brush a tail?

Daytona has a lot of tangles in his tail. I use a wide tooth comb, but even that is not working. Would using the conditioners and brushing it while it is wet work better? I have read on here Mane/tail works good. Is there a better brush or comb? Does it work better to work with the tail while wet? He could have such a pretty tail but trying to untangle is a mess.

Feel free to leave the suggestions where I can leave the hair on this poor horse's tail. :lol:

Gingerrrrr 08-18-2008 08:19 PM

use a hair brush like this-

http://www.racingsmarter.com/health/...ng/SKIN_B2.JPG

and start at the bottom of the tail and get all the knots out first then once all the knots are out of the bottom of the tail brush the rest.

Sara 08-18-2008 09:12 PM

That looks exactly like the brush I use. Rub in a little Cowboy Magic every 3 or 4 days, and brush as Ginger said. Works great :)

WSArabians 08-19-2008 12:44 AM

I use a brush like the one posted above as well.
Actually, I resorted to using my own hairbrush for awhile because it worked alot better! lol

That, and LOTS of detangler. For getting out knots (And I mean some pretty crazy knots) I've found Vetrolin to be the best to condition and loosen them.

Spray it in and leave it for about five minutes, then start at the bottom and work your way up.
You may have to untangle a few of the worst with your fingers then brush out the twisted part.

You can buy it at pretty much any horse store here, and usually retails for around $15.00. And the best part is, is that it leaves most of the hair where it belongs!

Kirsti Arndt 08-19-2008 10:08 AM

i start at the bottom after rubbing in cowyboy majic all through his tail, once the bottom 1/3rd is clear i then separate small sections and go from the bottom up-if you start at the top you will break the hairs. sometimes takes a while to get it all brushed out.

nascarcats 08-19-2008 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the tips, I will definetely use them :)

Stepher 08-19-2008 11:38 AM

I usually spray detangler as soon as I bring the horse in, and then let it sit while I brush. After its sat a while I go through the tail with my fingers and get out all the big tangles. Then I take a brush and start at the bottom and work my way up. It takes time, but it avoids breaking any hair.

GeminiJumper 08-19-2008 01:53 PM

When you are first getting out all those tangles, use a detangler with a wide paddle brush. You can use a human paddle brush--you don't have to buy one made for horses. Start at the bottom and work your way up. You can also lay the section of the tail you are working on across our thigh.

There are a lot of different opinions on how often you should brush your horse's tail but I have personally found that if you brush it out everyday, the tangles never really get that bad and so when you do brush their tail, since there's no tangles, there is no breakage when you brush it out.

ArabianAmor 08-20-2008 01:43 PM

Using a paddle brush and starting with the bottom and working your way up has always worked for me. But I have learned that if you want a long healthy tail the best thing to do, if you have the time and patience, is to use your hands to manually brush the tail. It keeps the ends from breaking and you will end up with a beautiful and very long tail! good luck!!

Jubilee Rose 08-20-2008 07:16 PM

Hi! I would use a good sturdy tail brush made by a company like Oster. Not trying to argue, but actually the pics of the brushes shown by Gemini actually fall apart easily. They're great until they break. The rubber in the middle comes right out after a while, especially in thick tails. I would get a really good Oster tail brush or even use a plastic curry comb. Also, I swear by baby oil. It works WONDERS in my mare's tail. I put some in my hand, slather it through her tail and gently brush a little at a time. It works great. It gets out all the tangles and makes it soft, shiny and smelling nice!