The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Kids and cell phones (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/kids-cell-phones-135680/)

Missy May 08-24-2012 02:17 PM

Kids and cell phones

This may be of interest to parents out there.

My daughter lost her cell phone whilst out of town on a school related event. She located it via gps. And, the nice people at the restuarant in which she left it have mailed it back to us.

What surprised me was the reason she did not want to borrow my phone. Most all kids these days text non-stop. My daugher is no exception. Because I felt she "needed" a cell more than I, I offered to let her borrow mine in the interim. She declined the offer. I actually thought it was b/c my phone isn't nearly as fancy as her own....but, no! She said it was b/c all her friends knew she has lost her phone, if she used mine - she would feel obligated to text them back immediately (as opposed to via computer)! :shock:

All this time I believed all kids were happy, happy, happy w all of this applied "tech" they are expected to utilize. I will have to re-evaluate.

Lockwood 08-24-2012 09:07 PM

Shows you how behind I am. I only recently got a smart phone (thing is way smarter than me!) and started texting. It never occured to me to reply to a text via computer.
Doh!

My son just started asking about a phone the other day. I told him mommy wasn't ready for him to have a phone yet. He said "Ok Mom." :oops:

Foxhunter 08-25-2012 02:43 AM

No matter what, in the way of technology, you buy tomorrow there is something better!

I bought my two nieces phones some years back. Their parents said they could have them but they had to be pay as you go and therefore they had to pay their own calls.

I am like Lockwood in that I haven't a clue as to what my phone can do! I rarely ever use it!

myhorsesonador 08-25-2012 02:51 AM

I didn't get a phone till I was 13, and just got a smart phone with texting last year at 18/almost 19.

I do tend to see the worst case some times, and I don't know your kid, so sorry if I'm out of line. I just wonder if some of the conversations going on are inappropriate, and she doesn't want you to know, so thats really why she wont use your phone.

I could be wrong, but I see it all the time.

Daisy25 08-25-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1659186)

I do tend to see the worst case some times, and I don't know your kid, so sorry if I'm out of line. I just wonder if some of the conversations going on are inappropriate, and she doesn't want you to know, so thats really why she wont use your phone.

I could be wrong, but I see it all the time.

Sorry - that was my first thought too. She must not want Mom to see who and what she has been texting...

Otherwise...what would be so wrong about telling friends that she is using her Mom's phone this week? I mean, she "doesn't want to feel obligated to text them back right away" ? Seems a little strange...

Missy May 08-25-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisy25 (Post 1659398)
Sorry - that was my first thought too. She must not want Mom to see who and what she has been texting...

Otherwise...what would be so wrong about telling friends that she is using her Mom's phone this week? I mean, she "doesn't want to feel obligated to text them back right away" ? Seems a little strange...

No, Iam sure it is a matter of time and not being interupted. I borrow her phone for the "bar code" reader when I go shopping - if her text messages were so private, I think it would have shown up. She is taking 4 ap courses, is involved in sports, and is a straight A student...this leaves very little time.

Daisy25 08-25-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy May (Post 1659427)
No, Iam sure it is a matter of time and not being interupted. I borrow her phone for the "bar code" reader when I go shopping - if her text messages were so private, I think it would have shown up. She is taking 4 ap courses, is involved in sports, and is a straight A student...this leaves very little time.

That's good to hear!

WesternBella 08-25-2012 01:05 PM

Alot of teens including me would rather not other people see their conversations. It's not because it's anything bad, I just don't like anybody looking at my texts. Maybe she is the same way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 08-25-2012 01:13 PM

I think, today, most all parents w kids that they have provided w a cell phone - themselves had two ways of "instant" communication available to them when they were a kid....phone, or in person. I never really thought about how kids view the dark ages...probably some think it was a lot simpler. :) For good reason, not frivolity, I got my daughter her first cell when she was 8. I have zero doubt that the "norm" will become 5-6.

kait18 08-27-2012 10:53 AM

i hated my cell phone in high school and college...it meant people always had a way to contact me friends, parents, relatives, etc.

there is no hiding :(

as for not wanting people to see the conversation... i can understand that. my parents checked my phone every so often at random times to make sure there was nothing bad on it. i hate technology :/ it ruins my freedom lol