The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How often do you bathe? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-often-do-you-bathe-135701/)

live2ride8 08-24-2012 07:10 PM

How often do you bathe?

I've heard people say they only bathe 4 times a year and others bathe almost every week. I know it dries out their skin so how often do all of you bathe? And do you use any extra conditioners or products that help keep their skin from drying out? Thanks! (Oh and when you have to braid for a show do you shampoo the main and tail or not? I've been told it makes the mane slippery but a trainer said to shampoo anyways.)

HorseMom1025 08-24-2012 07:32 PM

We bathe our horse the day before a show (so once a month or so during show season). We also bathe if she gets exceptionally dirty and the curry and brush just won't cut it.

I use a conditioning body wash (currently Calm Coat) and Mane and Tail brand shampoo and conditioner on her mane and tail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 08-24-2012 07:33 PM

I almost never use shampoo, but I hose my horses down every time after we ride if it is warm enough. The sweat causes skin problems if you leave it on them in this heat and humidity. Shampoo does tend to dry them out. When I rode a grey (white) horse, I washed him if I wanted him to look good for something.

HorseMom1025 08-24-2012 07:37 PM

Oh man, I remember when my daughter was riding a big white gelding. It would take us 3 hours and a half a bottle of coat whitening shampoo to get that horse clean before a show!

I'm very thankful that our girl is a red dun...almost the exact same shade of red as the arena sand. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Walkamile 08-24-2012 07:38 PM

I do not show, so all I do is wash the spring grunge off as soon as the temps allow. After that, hose off when it's hot to remove sweat. I curry and brush everyday to try and keep him somewhat clean.

I may bathe again if it's been an especially wet/muddy summer (Walka loves to roll in the mud....**** light colored horses).

walkinthewalk 08-24-2012 09:04 PM

I don't show but I take a brush and a hose to The Boys 2 - 3 times weekly to get the sweat build-up off them.

I shampoo three of them about once a month with iodine shampoo.

The fourth horse has allergies and gets the itches pretty bad. I shampoo him twice a month with MalAcetic and if I remember I rinse him down with a bucket of cold water and apple cider vinegar.

We have Dallas grass in the pastures and that miserable stuff has learned to go to seed shorter and shorter. It's sticky/yukky stuff; that means I wash faces and legs with MalAcetic or Dawn Dish soap as often as I need to keep that sap off them:-(

Wallaby 08-24-2012 09:15 PM

My Lacey girl is extremely sensitive to sweat/bug bites so she gets shampooed about once every two weeks.
She gets hosed off whenever she sweats/whenever it's over 90* so she's generally hosed off on a daily/bi-daily basis. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

When I'm giving a "real" bath, I shampoo+condition the mane+tail but only use shampoo on her body.
My favorite shampoo currently is "Healing Tree" Tea Tree shampoo. I find that it really seems to sooth her skin in a way that other shampoos don't. I use Dove coditioner on her mane+tail, of course. haha

Britt 08-24-2012 09:28 PM

I bathe my horses about three or four times yearly (every spring and summer...)... if it's really hot, sometimes they get more baths as it also gives me an excuse to play in the water!

CLaPorte432 08-24-2012 09:39 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I bathe once a week to every other week. Depends, but i dont ever weekend so... in fall i dont bathe as often and winter...never. i wait until spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 08-25-2012 01:23 AM

^excellent, I definitely forgot that winter exists. :rofl:
In the fall, I bathe Lacey as needed (when sweaty), never bathe her during the winter, and bathe her as the weather allows in the spring.

Also, CLaPorte, remind me to never meet you. Bathing only once a week? Never in the winter? Girl, I'm worried. :wink: :lol: :rofl: