The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Opinions needed on weight, please. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/opinions-needed-weight-please-135748/)

Remy410 08-25-2012 09:44 AM

Opinions needed on weight, please.

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 110680

Attachment 110683

Attachment 110679

Attachment 110681

Attachment 110682

We have a new QH gelding - we've had him less than 60 days, maybe? He's super fat, right? He's 22, been out of work for maybe 3 years, he was on 24/7 turn out and 2 lbs pellets 2x daily. I have just cut his feed in half. I wonder if he needs feed at all? I can feel, but not see ribs. I don't feel fat at the tail head, but I'm not sure if he's cresty or if he just has a thick neck. His body type is vastly different than my other two, so I want to make sure I'm not being overly critical. He is kept in light work at the moment.

The other is my 22 y/o TB mare. She had a hard time keeping weight on in her boarding situation. She's home now, and I can see ribs, but she looks fat as well. I don't know if I see her as being fat b/c she has more weight than I'm used to seeing on her usually, so I don't have an unbiased eye. She's also on 24/7 turn out, getting 2 lbs pellets 2x daily, plus her sups. She does have arthritis, and is kept in light work. I'm thinking she needs to be a bit trimmer due to arthritis.

Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

SaddleStrings 08-25-2012 12:50 PM

The palomino looks to be a bit over weight, but not horribly over weight. I would bet if i put a hand on his ribcage, i'd have to feel a bit harder to find his ribs. And the bay looks about right. I know you mentioned she looks ribby, but I don't see it.

LAhorses 08-25-2012 12:59 PM

I think they look pretty good, the qh has a little bit of a belly but not to bad. He's getting ready winter!