The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Lame After Farrier Visit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-lame-after-farrier-visit-135810/)

Kwalker024 08-25-2012 09:58 PM

Horse Lame After Farrier Visit

My horse was shod early Friday morning and this evening he is lame. Since May my horse was shod by my trainers farrier, who used a half round with little shoe "hanging" out the back as heel support. Yesterday since he was shod by our farrier, who we just started using back in April. Our farrier shod him in a plain keg type shoe with a lot of shoe hanging out of the back to act as heel support.

The reason he said he wanted to change his shoes is that his front right is a little dishy due to a farrier in the past. He said that the half round would have gotten it done but that this shoe would help get it done faster.

He only wears shoes in the front and has never had lameness issues. Both front feet are definitely sore especially at the trot. The right front more so then the left.

I feel no unusual heat or swelling. I've called the farrier he didn't think he should be sore as he said he left a lot of foot on him.

My horse has eaten well this evening and appears ok in his stall. The farrier said to call back in the morning with an update. Any thought or ideas as to what might be going on? Should I treat him with anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

kccjer 08-25-2012 10:03 PM

Changing the way he is shod will often affect how he carries himself. That causes him to use muscles he might not normally use. We have an extreme case that we can't ride for 2 or 3 days after shoeing because it re-adjusts his entire body carriage. Just a thot.... I've also seen horses that are sore after a farrier visit one time and not another. I wouldn't be too concerned yet....

Kwalker024 08-25-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccjer (Post 1659880)
Changing the way he is shod will often affect how he carries himself. That causes him to use muscles he might not normally use. We have an extreme case that we can't ride for 2 or 3 days after shoeing because it re-adjusts his entire body carriage. Just a thot.... I've also seen horses that are sore after a farrier visit one time and not another. I wouldn't be too concerned yet....

Thanks I appreciate the response. I've left him in his stall for the evening as he appears comfortable there. I'd considered giving him a little bute but had held off.

Does any of this really sound like the start of laminitis?
Posted via Mobile Device

kccjer 08-25-2012 10:14 PM

Dunno. Never dealt with laminitis before, but I've had MANY who were lame after a farrier visit. If he were mine, I'd just consider it farrier visit soreness and give him a couple days off. Ride only where it's soft for a while after that. But that's just how I, personally, would handle it.

Kwalker024 08-25-2012 10:27 PM

Thanks I appreciate it I've never had a personal horse founder either so I just know the symptoms I've read about. So should I continue to work him lightly? This evening I just quit lunging him after I figured our what was going on as he appeared very short strided and uncomfortable.
Posted via Mobile Device

kccjer 08-25-2012 10:34 PM

Light work is up to you. I usually just try to let them have a few days off doing anything but "being a horse". They'll usually heal up quicker that way. Unless you're in training and a few days off would set you back...then definitely continue working. If you have access to him just being out in a paddock or pasture, that's where I'd put him. Won't hurt him and would let him get use to walking again.

loosie 08-27-2012 02:40 AM

Hi,

There are exceptions, but generally if a horse is sore/lame after a farrier visit, I would consider it farrier error. Far from 'supporting' the heels, I think using shoes that are too long just put more undue pressure on the heels & can strain & stress other areas too, so I would consider that that was a possibility. As the foot is already 'dished' I would keep him out of shoes until his feet were in a healthier state.

Re laminitis, who knows, without more info, but it's a possibility. Look into 'low grade' or 'sub clinical' laminitis. Re working the horse, no, if he's sore, don't make him work, or you could make things worse.

natisha 08-27-2012 09:16 AM

Maybe a hot nail?

verona1016 08-27-2012 02:20 PM

My farrier once told me that if my horse was ever sore after a routine visit, I should fire the farrier (even if it was him). It sounds like your horse is sore due to farrier error- changing angles too quickly, poorly balanced trim, hot nail, etc. Without seeing pictures we can only guess, but I'd be seriously reconsidering if you want to continue to use this particular farrier for this particular horse (or any other) in the future.

Joe4d 08-27-2012 02:40 PM

id let a one time thing slide, no body is perfect. Especially if it was his first time doing that horse. The farriers I have used look at the horse, watch him move, ask what the horses job is, where I am riding, how far, etc etc. Then gets to work. I have never ever had a horse sore after a visit.