The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   What do you feed your dog? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/what-do-you-feed-your-dog-135812/)

Jore 08-25-2012 11:21 PM

What do you feed your dog?

I know there's a lot of brands, and types of food that people choose to feed their dog.. all for their own reasons, so I figured I'd ask.

I feed Cali the Acana Ranchlands formula, which is a part of their regionals collection (grain-free; 40% meat, 60% fruits & vegetables). I'd have fed Orijen but I read that the protein levels were a bit too high for such a small dog. (4.9lbs) Plus, raw wasn't an option seeing as how I'll be off to university in a couple of years and it isn't something my mom would want to take care of.

That being said, what do you feed your dogs? And do you put as much thought into it as your horse's feed? (I have to admit, I'm finding horse feed to be much more complicated!)

CLaPorte432 08-25-2012 11:30 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I love looking at dog food ingredients.

I currently feed 4Health to my cat and dogs. I have 3 labs and we go through alot of food so price and ingredients were my driving factor.

I have one dog thats allergic to wheat. 4Health is corn, wheat and soy free as well as not having artificial colorings. It has probiotics and good sources of meats and not as many fillers.

When my female was pregnant, she was fed a combination of raw, dry and canned food and did well on it.

I used to feed Wellness which i love, but its pricey for 3 labs. So i switched to Canidae which i also loved. Then i found 4Health and decided to give it a go. Priced right and the right ingredients.

In a perfect world, id cook for my dogs. But you really have to know your nutritional guidelines for canines otherwise you can cause a dog to be deficent in a vitamin/mineral that causes all sorts or problems. I do watch what treats i give and give supplements as needed.

As far as my horses. I switched from 12% sweetfeed to Nutrena LifeStages Original or LifeDesign Senior (depending on the horse) due to finding out sweetfeed is NOT good for them. I never ever considered it until i joined this forum and did my own research. Im happy i made the switch, my horses have been doing very well on it for the past 6 months or so.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sharpie 08-26-2012 12:03 AM

Horse: Free choice grass hay (coastal/Bermuda), Smartpac's ration balancer, and a joint supplement

Dogs: One dog with chicken allergies get Science Diet potato and salmon that I get for something like 75% off (great deal!) and the other dog who is sensitive to corn gets the Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. With two GSDs, they go through a lot of food, so I have to balance quality and cost. I don't really like science diet, or think it's a good food, but the dog I have on it does well and is so difficult to find something he does well on that it's easier to just go with it. I have fed both home-cooked and raw in the past, and my dogs did well on it, but with the discounts I currently get, the kibble is cheaper.

MHFoundation Quarters 08-26-2012 12:11 AM

Ours eats Blue Buffalo. He costs us as much to feed as the horses. We've found that it's the only thing that keeps him in good weight. He's a Kurzhaar that has an insanely high metabolism and he also runs the farm non stop 8 hours a day. It's great during bird hunting season, he can go all day but man can he eat. :lol:

Horses eat Progressive's ProAdvantage ration balancer and pasture, good hay in winter and they are getting some right now with the drought. The pasture puffs (the easy keeper oldies that aren't in regular daily work) just get pasture/hay/mineral block. I like the rb route, they get what they need without the extras and they don't need much of it. More pricey per bag but less per day. The old man gets fed a bit differently than the others. He has very few teeth left at 30 so he gets a mash of alfalfa cubes, beet pulp & nutrena's senior feed.

smrobs 08-26-2012 01:03 AM

Horses and dogs both are simple at my house. Dogs get a hard feed made by our local co-op. It's just a meat based feed with 27% protein and 11% fat (need that to keep our working dogs in top shape).

Horses either get grass hay or alfalfa hay or a mixture of both....pretty much free access as I make sure they have hay in front of them every moment when they aren't being worked.

myhorsesonador 08-26-2012 01:19 AM

My 2 Jack Russells get TOTW and Raw meat/ bones

waresbear 08-26-2012 01:23 AM

Mine get whatever is on sale at the feedstore. The little minpin mutt gets those little Caeser individual meals, otherwise she won't eat much.

Silent one 08-26-2012 02:14 AM

Iams. Or Eukanuba.

cowgirl4753 08-26-2012 02:19 AM

We feed orijen. Currently puppy food as she's only 5mnth old. Orijen and acana are made from the same company and made locally, the factory is about 2 hours away!
Posted via Mobile Device

Meatos 08-26-2012 02:34 AM

My dane is fed raw.