The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   He finally gets injections! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/he-finally-gets-injections-135817/)

ThePaintGirl 08-25-2012 11:50 PM

He finally gets injections!

Hi all!
Too excited to not post something! So we ended up taking my 5yr gelding to the vet (maybe 2 months ago?) because he had been having a BAD back problen for over a year. He got regular chiro visits and they would help but then the pain would come back. So I gave in, begged my parents (cuz they had to pay for the trip) and took him in. Turns out he has arthritis in both his hocks, so he never wanted to put the weight on his butt which then caused his shoulders to double in size because thats all he would use, and caused the aweful back pain (I couldnt even touch his back) Well, I couldnt afford the injections (which I felt so bad about!) so I ended up getting Bute, therapuetic hock boots, giving him massage and heat therapy to fix his back, and I put him on a joint supplement.

Well, I can finally buy him the injections! I sold my show bridle (my mare hated it, dont know why) and I sold my vintage dirtbike (just sold it tonight) and Im still selling my english saddle as well as getting a second job. but Im sooo happy I can finally buy my boy the best treatment! (im crying tears of joy right now)

And it couldnt have come at a better time! Hes been going to a college class for two weeks now (my instructor loves how big he is, I love the looks I get being so small standing next to him lol) and its starting to get harder, Ive been stopping him part way through class and checking him over (I explained everything to the instructor so he was okay with me giving him a break and doing stretches and massage) but today I noticed it started hurting so I stopped and the told the instuctor he was done for the day.

Im just sooo happy! Ive felt like such a bad mom these past few months, I felt like I should be doing more. My vet was shocked when I told her all i was doing and selling, apparently there should be more teens like me :/

And now Im doing the happy dance again :happydance: Now I gotta get the drugs (which I need to drive to another state for), take him in (the vet is showing me how to give the shots myself cuz its cheaper) and presto!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :happydance:

SOOOOO HAPPY! :happydance:

Thanks for reading my insane post!
~ThePaintGirl

Cacowgirl 08-26-2012 02:04 PM

Congrats to you for stepping up & doing what is right for this horse. Hope it all works out well for you & your horse.

Copperhead 08-26-2012 03:36 PM

The injections are just a cover and a comfort to whats really happening in his body. I'm happy that you are able to make him more comfortable, but if he's in so much arthritic pain, it might be time for you to find another mount. Throwing his back out and muscling his shoulders to relieve the pain in his hind legs is a sign of extreme discomfort and pain.

I'm very happy you are dedicated to making him feel batter, but this is a degenerative disease and will only get worse. No cure, only pain management. Harder classes just might be too much for him. It may be time to switch him over to only light riding, and use your mare for classes instead.

Just a my two cents. Seems like he is terribly uncomfortable and isn't able to do his job like he used to. Injections will help with the pain and management but they don't fix the problem.

ThePaintGirl 08-26-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1660507)
The injections are just a cover and a comfort to whats really happening in his body. I'm happy that you are able to make him more comfortable, but if he's in so much arthritic pain, it might be time for you to find another mount. Throwing his back out and muscling his shoulders to relieve the pain in his hind legs is a sign of extreme discomfort and pain.

I'm very happy you are dedicated to making him feel batter, but this is a degenerative disease and will only get worse. No cure, only pain management. Harder classes just might be too much for him. It may be time to switch him over to only light riding, and use your mare for classes instead.

Just a my two cents. Seems like he is terribly uncomfortable and isn't able to do his job like he used to. Injections will help with the pain and management but they don't fix the problem.

I was worried about that as well, but the back pain and shoulders was because he had untreated arthritis for almost 2 years which is why it was sooo bad when we found it.
The reason he got so sore is because he is so unbalanced since his shoulders are larger (he got sore on his front feet) he actually doesn't have any back pain right now, but when we had a cold spell it got kinda bad but we didn't have the hock boots yet.
I think once he evens out he will okay, if not then he's retired. I can talk to my vet about it tomorrow again and bring up my concern about the class making him sore.