The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   how to ask my farrier to trim a little more aggressively? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/how-ask-my-farrier-trim-little-135851/)

Rachel1786 08-26-2012 01:25 PM

how to ask my farrier to trim a little more aggressively?

I want to start off by saying I love the woman who trims my mares feet, she does a great job, but I feel(and have been told my other people) that she could take more off the toe. She always trims my horse balanced and my horse has never been sore after a trim. My mare have been growing out really fast and within 4 weeks she is starting to chip. When I look at her feet after she is done I can see she could probably take off another 1/4"-1/2"(I'm not good with measurements so more or less lol, that just seemed like a good number :-P). I don't want her to think that I don't think she knows what she is doing, but I would like her to take her toes back more then she does.

Almond Joy 08-26-2012 01:35 PM

Just say that some of your friends have said something about the longness of the toe, and that when you look at your friend's hooves they seem a bit shorter.

riccil0ve 08-26-2012 01:42 PM

I would phrase it more like a question. Say you are concerned with the length of the toe and the chips at 4 weeks or so, and you are curious if the toe can be brought back more and/or why she leaves the toe a little long in your eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device

MPLdyCop 08-26-2012 03:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
If she gets more aggressive per your request and the horse ends up sore, are you going to blame her?? Something she may consider.

There are some factors that inhibit shortening the toe on a barefoot horse. Thin soled, short foot height wise, etc.

An example...... This horse would be sore if the toe was trimmed back to the white line in an effort to "shorten" the toe. The whole hoof was stretched forward, sole included. However it was achieved with a shoe to support, and the desired breakover forged, ground into said shoe.

Attachment 110748
Attachment 110751
Attachment 110749

Attachment 110750

gypsygirl 08-26-2012 03:28 PM

i would just ask her if theres anything you can be doing for her feet because they are chipping after only 4 weeks.

MPLdyCop 08-26-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1660499)
i would just ask her if theres anything you can be doing for her feet because they are chipping after only 4 weeks.

Usually that indicates the cycle may need to be shortened to 4 weeks. Horse may not have strong walls, could be weather related, etc.

I'd say post pics if you can because there are too many variables but I wanted to show one reason why she may not be "shortening" the toes as you like.

PaintHorseMares 08-26-2012 06:58 PM

Hooves grow and wear depending on the time of year, weather, diet, terrain, riding, etc, etc. If they grow faster than they wear, they will start chipping no matter how short you trim them, and it is typically just cosmetic. If it really bothers you, learn to clean them up with a rasp in between trims or just have your farrier out more often.

loosie 08-27-2012 02:56 AM

As per MP & Paint's comments, I wouldn't consider chipping 4 weeks out from the trim as indicative of incorrect trimming. I do agree with MP that there are a number of factors that influence how far/fast you may be able to 'bring back' a stretched toe. But my experience with regard to stretched toes & thin soles is pretty much the opposite to MP. Despite that the majority of horses I see have thin soles, I have found that leaving toes long perpetuates the strained laminae & thin soles for longer if anything. Getting rid of the excess toe/leverage and providing sole support is best IME. If I were to shoe, I'd place the shoe back far enough to put breakover in a more natural place & would definitely provide sole support/protection.

Oh, nearly forgot the original question! I would have a discussion with her about the horse's stretched toes & ask what her plan/approach is. I would say it appears to you that backing up the toe more is something you think worth trying & what does she think about that.

MPLdyCop 08-27-2012 11:40 AM

Aside from sole support, how is that opposite from what I've done.

Look again at the xray then the shod foot and ground surface of the shoe.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 08-27-2012 12:02 PM

Not happy with shoeing

Is the woman actually qualified as a farrier or is she a a barefoot trimmer who has done a short course - you can even do them online apparently.
Its nice to get on with your farrier but its more important that they are doing a good job and sounds to me like this one isn't
If you're not happy find a replacement.
Its not your job to be telling your farrier what to do - thats why you pay a professional - for their knowledge and expertise