The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Can I use a cutback saddle on a Quarter Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/can-i-use-cutback-saddle-quarter-135885/)

Blondehorselover 08-26-2012 08:37 PM

Can I use a cutback saddle on a Quarter Horse?

My QH has high withers, and has more of a TB body and Arab head...really looks nothing like a QH. Wondering if a cutback saddle would work on him?

SEAmom 08-26-2012 08:44 PM

Do you mean a cutback as in a saddle used for saddleseat classes? I'd post a picture, but I'm on my phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blondehorselover 08-26-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEAmom (Post 1660778)
Do you mean a cutback as in a saddle used for saddleseat classes? I'd post a picture, but I'm on my phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, that kind

SEAmom 08-26-2012 09:43 PM

Well, you could use a cutback on your qh the same way a gaited saddle can be used on your qh. It may fit (probably not well because the tree is different), but it will put you in fairly different seat for anything you'd be doing with your horse. Cutback saddles are made to sit you back farther in the saddle (and on the horse) with your legs slightly farther forward. You'd have a hard time riding western, hunter, dressage, jumping, etc. I'd suggest looking for a saddle with a higher pommel that is meant for your discipline.
Posted via Mobile Device

jumanji321 08-26-2012 10:17 PM

Look for a saddle with a cutback pommel. They are normal saddles but with a greater arch in the pommel area to acommodate high withers.

Blondehorselover 08-27-2012 11:34 AM

I didn't plan on using the saddle except for trotting work and to improve my leg strength. I just wanted to know if those kinds of saddles can be used for high wither/narrow QH. I used to ride saddleseat so I'm used to that kind of saddle. But I usually ride him a Circle Y barrel saddle.

LadyDreamer 08-28-2012 09:31 PM

If it fits, then there is no reason you can't! My first saddleseat horse was the big fat QH who taught me to ride. Showed him too!
Posted via Mobile Device

SEAmom 08-29-2012 07:27 AM

There's no physical reason why you can't put any saddle on any horse if it fits. I'd stay away from the ones built for arabs because they are rarely built for narrow horses. I'm not sure about saddlebreds and morgans, though.

Why don't you buy a western saddle with a higher pommel/gullet that fits your horse better?
Posted via Mobile Device

Blondehorselover 08-29-2012 07:30 AM

I have a barrel saddle (fits him great) but I wanted an english one to help improve my leg strength better

LadyDreamer 08-29-2012 01:01 PM

A cutback could definitely help. They are sometimes referred to as "Potato Chip" saddles. No leg rolls, no high cantle... Just minimal. I love them!
Posted via Mobile Device