The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leg protection

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  4everiding 
#1 ·
Do you use any boots or polos on your horse when working them? If so what?

#2 ·
I use boots for general work at home, polos for clinics.

My boots are sheepskin lined with leather outer, velcro fastened. I find that they are great for allowing airflow through the leg while working, I have yet to have a tendon get really hot under them.
I also also put bell boots/over reach boots on the front legs, and often on the back legs depending on the work that I am doing and the training level of the horse.

#3 ·
Splint boots on all 4.

#4 ·
I have a set of white Dressage Sport Boots that I absolutely love for daily use. Either that or I'll use a set of white or black polos.

#5 ·
I don't like any of the sheepskin sport boots as my horse has sensitive skin and I find sheepskin to be abrasive.
If it is hot and the horse does not interfere, I've actually started leaving my horses legs bare, or just using an over-reach boot. If I need to I wrap with Eskadron Climatex under polos, or I will use the EcoGold dressage boots. The biggest thing to remember when booting or bandaging is that heat trapped by them has been shown to be more detrimental than any damage they protect from. Never use neoprene or SMBs on a horses legs for this reason.
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
Yes, I certainly don't believe ANY boot or wrap actually provides any significant support, and normally I am all for going with only bell boots. But I am looking at horses that have virtually no experience in dressage and I though at least while they are learning lateral movements, it may be beneficial to have some protection from rubs and bumps.
Last week at my lesson the horse I rode had leather/wool boots and even after a lesson in upper 80s-90 degree heat his legs were not hot or sweaty at all. I was thoroughly impressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.