The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   the horse i ride is a (insert unattractive word here)! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-i-ride-insert-unattractive-word-135938/)

alyssaanne 08-27-2012 02:47 PM

the horse i ride is a (insert unattractive word here)!

seriously. last 3 times i have ridden her she has completely froze and refuses to move for the world. i had never experienced this with her before. although after talking to another girl that rides her at the barn, she says this has happened to her on trails. (only said girl and i ride her. she belongs to my aunt). its ridiculous. i usually ride her once a week and i always take her out the front gate and ride her down a dead end and back. shes doesnt really like going out by herself, but she usually goes. i have never had a reason to kick into/pop a horse before. i feel like its unnecessary, but when shes does this i am faced with no other choice. but shes doesnt respond! she just stands there and takes it! let me just say that i am always cautious with her/any horse i ride. i always rub down their backs and check their legs and feet before i ride. shes not injured. shes just stubborn. as soon as she realizes im going to try to go out the gate with her she pulls this, but i always make a point to "win". i make it seem like i've won everytime. you just have to keep at it until she gives in. but its exhausting! and yesterday was the worst one she ever pulled. i had to get off and walk her out the gate and part of the way down the road.walking in circles for about 10 mins trying to make her frustrated/willing to give. now add the fact thats shes a 16ish hand horse and im out of shape, its near impossible to get back on her without a stool. i had to get off and on 3 times and the only thing thing that saved me was a raised manhole that comes about 10 inches off the ground. but everytime i got back on and she realized we werent going back to the barn she froze again. we did this for about 45 mins. i was tired, pissed off, and embarrassed to be sitting there whacking the horse with my reins in front of passing cars. they prolly thought i was beating a helpless animal. i know your never supposed to let them win, but there comes a certain point that your just unable to continue. i was there, but in a last ditch effort i ran her toward the barn and then turned back toward the street and kept her at a fast trot past the gate and onto the grass on the sides of the street. i could feel her hesitation right before we went past the barrier and i could almost hear her think, "well sh*t, i lost this one". and after that she was fine! we walked/ trotted all the way down the street and back without a problem!!! why couldn't we have done that from the start?! i was somewhere caught between relief, anger, and exhaustion. she just seemed resigned. she walked down the road like nothing had happened at all. i was mad that i was forced to be a little rough with her. im of the opinion that staying calm, talking, and pressuring a horse to do what you want is the best way to work, but sometimes thats not enough i guess. we got back to the barn and i unsaddled her and checked again to make sure she wasnt hurt. i guess i was almost hoping somthing was wrong to explain these fits, but there was nothing. completely sound and not even a tail swish at putting pressure on different areas of her back. shes was just staring at me wondering why the hell it was taking so long to get her treats.. unbelievable. no, theres nothing wrong with this horse, shes just a b*tch. im going out to ride her again tuesday. hopefully she doesnt pull this again. the only thing i know to do is to be consistent. if any of you guys have dealt with this before and found a special way to solve it, im all ears. thx for letting me have a rant. i needed it. :-(

Ps: i hope all you horse people out there don't take this as me being abusive/harsh to the horse. i can assure you thats not the case at all. shes the most spoiled/ well taken care of horse you can imagine. so much so that if you forget to bring her carrots, you can forget about trying to ride. lol

Pps: i originally posted this at myfitnesspal. so if you see it there thats why. :wink:

alyssaanne 08-27-2012 02:52 PM

im sry. i accidentally posted this in the wrong section. if somebody could please move it to the western area or pleasure area that would be great. i dont know how to or even if i can.

alyssaanne 08-27-2012 05:29 PM

also let me add that i have ruled out fear. shes not scared of going out on the road. and also let me say that i never take my anger out on the horse. that is why im ranting here. :P even after a bad ride she gets a good groom and bunches of treats. i just need to find a way to train past this.

Cacowgirl 08-27-2012 05:55 PM

You did not hurt this horse! Why all the treats? Before & after a ride-sounds like a bit much.

alyssaanne 08-27-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cacowgirl (Post 1661733)
You did not hurt this horse! Why all the treats? Before & after a ride-sounds like a bit much.

im glad you said that. i didnt want people to get the wrong impression. and i dont really give bunches of treats. but she gets a carrot when i get there and a few when i leave. :P

oh vair oh 08-27-2012 06:02 PM

Have you ever warmed her up in an arena first before taking her out on the trail? Getting her to move forward and happy in the arena will make her more likely to continue the behavior elsewhere.

alyssaanne 08-27-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh vair oh (Post 1661745)
Have you ever warmed her up in an arena first before taking her out on the trail? Getting her to move forward and happy in the arena will make her more likely to continue the behavior elsewhere.

we dont actually have a formal arena where we board but i rode around the barn area and she was fine. kinda gave me a "are we really gonna do this?" look before we started but was fine after that. : / then going down the path to the front gate is when it all started.

PunksTank 08-27-2012 06:07 PM

My mare had this same issue. It sounds to me like she's herd bound, she wants to be with her horsey friends and you're just a little pest trying to make her leave.

The first thing I'd do is spend some time becoming part of her herd, so she wants to be with you MORE than with the other horses. She needs to trust that she is safe with you, horses that are herd bound aren't just lazy stupid horses - they are horses who lack individual confidence, who need to feel safe. So you need to spend some time doing ground work with her, teaching her that YOU are the leader of your two creature herd. Practice teaching her to yield all parts of her body and respect your space. If every time she sees you, you just jump on her back and make her do stuff she doesn't like, she will see you as a pest, not as a leader. Make yourself her leader.

Also, something needs to be made more appealing about being away from her buddies than being with them. If every time you leave the gate it leads to a horrible fight where she gets kicked and made to work she's gonna hate it. So I'd go, get her on a lead and take her out to the gate and let her graze. I'd hand walk her up and down the area you wish to ride while doing things that make her happy. Such as itching a particularly itchy spot, or letting her graze. Do something for her that's more wonderful than just sitting out with the other horses.
Once she stops hating the area so much now make her work. Bring her out on a long lead, walk her interactively (keep her pumped, don't just drag her along). If she stops moving Immediately make her lunge, walk/trot around, then carry on straight. When she's walking confidently and not looking for ways to stop, let her eat some grass or get itchy scratches. Repeat this until she's doing everything you want.

Next I'd practice riding her out and you are right! She Can Not Get Away with that!! Sitting and whacking her clearly isn't working. SO every time she decides to stop moving you should back her up, this will get her feet moving, then while her feet are moving turn her in a circle. Get her walking (better trotting) in circles. Then carry on straight once she's moving. Repeat this until she realizes it's easier to just go straight than have to deal with you fussing at her. I'd also let her stop and do something enjoyable while your out, anything she likes, maybe bring some treats for her while your riding. Don't give her treats when you get home, that just teaches her that going home is even better - you need to make riding nicer. I prefer not to let horses graze while riding, but when they're plugging along nicely and doing what I ask I'll stop them and turn their head to me and slip them a treat.

Good luck :)

alyssaanne 08-27-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunksTank (Post 1661754)
My mare had this same issue. It sounds to me like she's herd bound, she wants to be with her horsey friends and you're just a little pest trying to make her leave.

The first thing I'd do is spend some time becoming part of her herd, so she wants to be with you MORE than with the other horses. She needs to trust that she is safe with you, horses that are herd bound aren't just lazy stupid horses - they are horses who lack individual confidence, who need to feel safe. So you need to spend some time doing ground work with her, teaching her that YOU are the leader of your two creature herd. Practice teaching her to yield all parts of her body and respect your space. If every time she sees you, you just jump on her back and make her do stuff she doesn't like, she will see you as a pest, not as a leader. Make yourself her leader.

Also, something needs to be made more appealing about being away from her buddies than being with them. If every time you leave the gate it leads to a horrible fight where she gets kicked and made to work she's gonna hate it. So I'd go, get her on a lead and take her out to the gate and let her graze. I'd hand walk her up and down the area you wish to ride while doing things that make her happy. Such as itching a particularly itchy spot, or letting her graze. Do something for her that's more wonderful than just sitting out with the other horses.
Once she stops hating the area so much now make her work. Bring her out on a long lead, walk her interactively (keep her pumped, don't just drag her along). If she stops moving Immediately make her lunge, walk/trot around, then carry on straight. When she's walking confidently and not looking for ways to stop, let her eat some grass or get itchy scratches. Repeat this until she's doing everything you want.

Next I'd practice riding her out and you are right! She Can Not Get Away with that!! Sitting and whacking her clearly isn't working. SO every time she decides to stop moving you should back her up, this will get her feet moving, then while her feet are moving turn her in a circle. Get her walking (better trotting) in circles. Then carry on straight once she's moving. Repeat this until she realizes it's easier to just go straight than have to deal with you fussing at her. I'd also let her stop and do something enjoyable while your out, anything she likes, maybe bring some treats for her while your riding. Don't give her treats when you get home, that just teaches her that going home is even better - you need to make riding nicer. I prefer not to let horses graze while riding, but when they're plugging along nicely and doing what I ask I'll stop them and turn their head to me and slip them a treat.

Good luck :)

thank you. lots of great idea in the post. i will try bringing little carrot peices on the road since my aunt doesnt like horses grazing under saddle. and i will try backing up with her like that. i have also tried just sitting on her and waiting for her to make a move and it doesnt work. i've just never been faced with an issue like this with her before. shes always kinda lazy, but cooperative. and responsive.idk. going out tomorrow with my aunt. i figure after yesterday shes either going to be much better or worse. : /

PunksTank 08-27-2012 06:25 PM

Again Do Not graze her under saddle, that can develop bad habits. But giving her treats while riding makes it more appealing to be riding. The idea about grazing was unmounted. It's simply so that she will associate leaving the gate with something more pleasant than having to work. Yes, backing and turning are harder for a horse to ignore than being kicked.