The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   how to feed a starved horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-feed-starved-horse-135959/)

stevenson 08-27-2012 06:17 PM

how to feed a starved horse

TheHorse.com has a new article this week on how to feed the rescued starving horses. It is a very good article. :D

deserthorsewoman 08-27-2012 07:38 PM

Just got it too:-)
And without knowing it ....I did it with my 300lbs underweight mare....;-)
She improved within a month from a 2 to a 5 with mainly alfalfa and 3 lbs of seniorfeed.
Posted via Mobile Device

DRichmond 08-28-2012 04:56 AM

That article is more well rounded than the UC Davis refeeding protocol but I still hope that those reading articles about refeeding starved horses consider them as generalized guidelines only and won't take every word verbatim because it can wind up with costly and heartbreaking mistakes. I have a few disagreements such as with the initial refeeding comment re putting an emaciated horse out on pasture after 2-3 days for a couple of hours; I also disagree with starting on concentrated feeds after 2-3 days.
Every single starvation case is unique and needs to be treated as such.

kccjer 08-28-2012 10:16 AM

hmmm...according to that article I did NOTHING right. Good thing all 3 of the horses I've fed back up survivied! Doesn't surprise me too much that I didn't do anything right....I find that out all the time. Most of the critters we have around here should be dead according to the "experts".

stevenson 08-28-2012 03:26 PM

Well, you can either agree with it, or not. If you are rescueing starved horses and feeding them up and the horse is healthy than that is fantastic !
I posted it, for the people whom have had questions on feeding up a starved horse, and each article I read, can leave me with a little more knowledge ;)