The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   another banned (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/another-banned-135967/)

Diegosmom 08-27-2012 06:37 PM

another banned
 
Walking Horse Trainer Banned From Celebration - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

walkinthewalk 08-28-2012 10:14 AM

I thought that sounded familiar - this is not a recent charge in the National Celebration that is going on now.

It's an old charge and just for the record, please note Davis was a Spotted Saddle Horse trainer.

Shelbyville Times-Gazette: Search results

I don't know what Channel Five means by "on the grounds". What he merely at a show barn or was he WORKING at show barn at the Celebration?

Doesn't make things any better BUT horses in the Spotted Saddle Horse registry, a/k/a SSHBEA, are NOT permitted to show at sanctioned Tennessee Walking Horse shows; especially the National Tennessee Walking Horse Celebration, that is going on as I write this.

This stuff can get complicated for the non-gaited owner but, even though a SSHBEA registered horse may have proven TWH's names on its papers, it is still registered in SSHBEA and not permitted to show at the Celebration.

SSHBEA does, indeed, have it's own National Celebration and is held at the Calsonic grounds in Shelbyville, TN. At least they were:-)

Then there's the registered Tennessee Walkers that are spotted and do show at the Celebration (if they qualify) because they have Walking Horse papers on them-------------------:shock::shock:

Not trying to play Devil's Advocate, just trying to keep the record straight which is why I linke the Times-Gazette news article from last March:-)

DancingArabian 08-28-2012 11:25 AM

Never understood soring. I get that it makes the flashy gaits but it's completely unnatural so why would anyone want something that's completely fake just because it looks neat? It would be amazing if they did it on their own - but definitely not because theyre forced.
Posted via Mobile Device

Diegosmom 08-28-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinthewalk (Post 1662564)
I thought that sounded familiar - this is not a recent charge in the National Celebration that is going on now.

It's an old charge and just for the record, please note Davis was a Spotted Saddle Horse trainer.

Shelbyville Times-Gazette: Search results

I don't know what Channel Five means by "on the grounds". What he merely at a show barn or was he WORKING at show barn at the Celebration?

Doesn't make things any better BUT horses in the Spotted Saddle Horse registry, a/k/a SSHBEA, are NOT permitted to show at sanctioned Tennessee Walking Horse shows; especially the National Tennessee Walking Horse Celebration, that is going on as I write this.

This stuff can get complicated for the non-gaited owner but, even though a SSHBEA registered horse may have proven TWH's names on its papers, it is still registered in SSHBEA and not permitted to show at the Celebration.

SSHBEA does, indeed, have it's own National Celebration and is held at the Calsonic grounds in Shelbyville, TN. At least they were:-)

Then there's the registered Tennessee Walkers that are spotted and do show at the Celebration (if they qualify) because they have Walking Horse papers on them-------------------:shock::shock:

Not trying to play Devil's Advocate, just trying to keep the record straight which is why I linke the Times-Gazette news article from last March:-)

Oh well that nice of them to post that like it was yesterday.
I hate it when the media tries to make things worse then they are.Its bad enough with out them making it worse

Copperhead 08-28-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1662646)
Never understood soring. I get that it makes the flashy gaits but it's completely unnatural so why would anyone want something that's completely fake just because it looks neat? It would be amazing if they did it on their own - but definitely not because theyre forced.
Posted via Mobile Device

You just answered your own question.

There are many, many disciplines that do this. TWH's are pretty much the poster child of abuse for style. Its in every discipline.

I heard of people tieing bricks to horse's halters for hours on end so they get that western pleasure headset. I've also seen pictures of people lashing bailing twine from the horse's bottom jaw and wrapping it around the neck so the horse stands there for hours, flexed. Its not just in the TWH world. Its in every discpline that needs a certain "look" or "style" to win.

Darrin 08-28-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1662781)
You just answered your own question.

There are many, many disciplines that do this. TWH's are pretty much the poster child of abuse for style. Its in every discipline.

I heard of people tieing bricks to horse's halters for hours on end so they get that western pleasure headset. I've also seen pictures of people lashing bailing twine from the horse's bottom jaw and wrapping it around the neck so the horse stands there for hours, flexed. Its not just in the TWH world. Its in every discpline that needs a certain "look" or "style" to win.

Don't forget it's also about "Flash" along with "Style". Snapping one's feet off the ground because they hurt creates flash and people ooh and ahh over that. I went to my first horse show in ages last night at the local fair. Guess who was winning all the ribbons? The walker that snapped her feet off the ground each and every step. IMO she wasn't the smoothest walker in class after class but she was the "flashiest".

Have to throw this in, talk of the stable was about soring and disparaging it. Hope there's a shift in the winds.

Guilherme 08-29-2012 08:44 AM

I've seen the Walker Industry go through this three times in my lifetime. Each time, within 24 months, it was "business as usual."

The reason is money. The Big Lick horses bring the biggest bucks. To create the gait you need to either breed for it (a very expensive and long term process) or you can "nail it on." Since nails are cheaper than years of breeding guess what wins? :cry:

Making money with horses is not a bad thing. Institutionalizing cruelty and then pretending that it's not is a bad thing.

One thing that is new is some of the moguls of the industry turning on each other. In the past the "front" defending industry practices was pretty solid. There have now been two big "rows." Three, if you count the McConnell de-frocking. There's also the famous video, giving a very visual window into a world we all knew existed, but that had been very obscure. So maybe it won't be a return to "business as usual." But maybe it will.

While much of the energy has been expended on the Big Lick, the Plantation and Light Shod Divisions need a serious housecleaning as well. Some of the sorest horses I've ever seen have been flat shod. Indeed, to get the "JV Big Lick" that wins in those divisions soring is even more important.

I detest the Big Lick practices and those of it's little brother, the JV Big Lick. But as long as these practices pay the freight they will continue in some guise.

G.

walkinthewalk 08-29-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilherme (Post 1663747)
The reason is money. The Big Lick horses bring the biggest bucks. To create the gait you need to either breed for it (a very expensive and long term process) or you can "nail it on." Since nails are cheaper than years of breeding guess what wins? :cry:


While much of the energy has been expended on the Big Lick, the Plantation and Light Shod Divisions need a serious housecleaning as well. Some of the sorest horses I've ever seen have been flat shod. Indeed, to get the "JV Big Lick" that wins in those divisions soring is even more important.


G.

Once Upon A Time, I was told that, while the Performance TWH's are only 1% of the industry, they represent 90% of the money:-(

I don't have statistics to back that up but when folks like the Baskin family (as in Baskin-Robbins ice cream) are heavily involved in Walking Horses, I can easily believe that.

I can't find it now; I should've bookmarked the Scoop article (that I THINK originally may have come from TWHBEA) where the soon-to-be new CEO of the Celebration alluded to the fact that he intends to raise up the very damaged reputation of the Performance Walkers<--those are my words but essentially what he said.

That tells me, the packages aren't going anywhere but there will be an attempt to clean house:shock:

Point-being, sounds like "business as usual" will eventually come back around but, I hope I'm wrong:-(

I do know for fact that Ford Motor Company pulled their sponsorship. There are no Ford banners, no trucks, no booth, nada/zip/nothing with Blue Oval on it at the Celebration.

I've also heard attendance has been down by half every night, so far.

That is not only a shame for something that's been a tradition in this county since 1939, it's a shame for the income the Celebration is capable of generating for this rural-and-not-wealthy-county.

I could say I hope those $%^&*& trainers are happy but those trainers that practice soring, don't give a flying-flip about anyone but themselves to begin with.

How's that ball cap read and the song go? "you were born an a**h*l* and you'll be one all your life"---------------------

Joe4d 08-30-2012 02:13 AM

Actually the entire TWHBEA has basically been banned from the Celebration. And good riddence to the whole bunch.
The celebration is now being run under the NWHA, which doesnt allow big lick, actually trys to enforce soring rules, and for starters doesnt allow convicted animal abusers on the board of directors. Unlike TWHBEA, whos entire board, and all officers at one time or another have been cited for horse abuse.

People need to stop feeding the TWHBEA's coffers.

EmmJayCee 08-30-2012 08:45 AM

I am the proud owner of a Tennessee Walker. He's barefoot, and naturally gaited--although I haven't figured out how to get him to gait under saddle as we're just starting out and we're bitless. However, he does gait in pasture, and it's so beautiful it starts an ache in the back of my throat and makes me want to cry. He does it because it comes naturally to him and he's feeling good. I'll never understand some people's need to change that natural gait, of the attitude that abuse to achieve it is alright.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0