The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   My first jump!! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/my-first-jump-135988/)

Whizzer 08-27-2012 11:41 PM

My first jump!!

I'm so excited and I knew you'd all understand! I did my very first jump on Saturday! I've been taking lessons once week since January and I was a genuine beginner in English (I had been riding Western pleasure for years but without instruction and only occasionally).

Of course, it was trotting over a crosspole set up (is that what it's called?) and not a full fledged fence, but it was still awesome! The last run through she tucked and hopped the poles instead of trotting over!

The horse I rode, Gracie, has not jumped before, but my trainer has worked with her a bit and says that she is very willing and wants to learn. Therefore, we make a great team since both of us are new to this and we are both willing to learn. She just goes right over and doesn't even think twice!

I'm excited to keep working at this...there is so much to think about when going over that I'm a bit overwhelmed. Making the turn, keeping heels down, keep a consistent pace while getting into 2-point, shortening reigns but still steering, keeping leg on, making sure I'm in the right 2-point position, staying straight to the jump, etc. etc. WOW! I know it will all come together like everything else, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I get frustrated when I don't get it all right away.

ilovepie32 08-27-2012 11:44 PM

I jumped for the first time this week, in a western saddle, on the trail, over a log. And I was super excited about that! So I can only imagine how excited YOU are! Congratulations, and best wishes to you and your horse!
Posted via Mobile Device

Whizzer 08-27-2012 11:47 PM

That sounds like fun too! Were you trying to jump the log or did it just happen?

I can't wait to go over bigger fences and feel like I have good control! At a canter!

ilovepie32 08-28-2012 12:27 AM

Well, I was trying to go over the log, but Dusty was walking. So I expected him to step over it like he usually would. I guess he was feeling spunky :)
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 08-28-2012 12:43 AM

Congrats! I don't jump much but when I do, every tiny jump is like winning the Olympics to me. I pat myself on the back every time I go over and stay on.

Mckellar 08-29-2012 12:06 PM

Great job!!! It all starts with cross rails, keep us updated on how it goes ! :)

Whizzer 08-29-2012 12:58 PM

Thanks McKellar! Jumping is something I've always wanted to do and I set my mind up in January that I was going to learn. Everything I've done leading up to this has been so much fun. One of my favorite things is trot canter transitions and circles at the canter. It takes so much control and I still have a ways to go before I'm smooth and comfortable with that.

I'll keep you all updated! I can't wait for my lesson on Saturday...hoping we will work on the crossbars again!

Cinder 08-29-2012 04:22 PM

Congrats, that is a big step forward!