The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Dressage Foal? Help Needed! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/dressage-foal-help-needed-136005/)

MoonCoin 08-28-2012 09:29 AM

Dressage Foal? Help Needed!

Hi everyone, get ready for a bit of a story!
Over a year ago a member of my family and I rescued a mare called Obera from going to meat at market. We knew nothing about her because her passport was in Dutch but she was the most beautiful mare we had ever seen and couldn't bear to see her in that situation. We had no intention of buying a horse that day (we had gone for chickens!) And we already had an Irish cob X family horse.
We took her home and got a vet to check her as well as a spinotherapist and a farrier who declared she had a few minor issues with her feet but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bit of TLC.
Meanwhile, we had managed to decipher her passport and realised she had some amazing dressage bloodlines for a mare found in market. She had been covered by Gribaldi and her first foal had gone on to grand-prix dressage. Her grand-sire was Balzflug and she was a registered KPWN. We tracked down her previous owners right to the stud she was born at and found out a lot of information about her including how she ended up in market in the first place (extremily bad luck on her part.) We made the decision to cover her as soon as she was comfortable. She was covered by a little-known Oldenburg stallion which was situated near to us called Sandro.
On May 1st 2012 she foaled a chestnut colt of whom we named Westerby Rogue.
My family and I do not know a lot about dressage, especially prestigious and professional areas! We have a mad family cob and were naiive enough to let our hearts run away with us! This foal is a part of our family and we would never sell him, he will be with my family for the forseeable future. I have uploaded some photos of little Rogue and would be extremily grateful if anyone with any dressage experience could give their honest opinion on the foal (his conformation, carriage etc.) As I have previously stated we are novice in this area! Remember he is almost 4 months old now.
I have also uploaded a photograph of his dam, Obera the lucky mare!
Thanks so much!

Links for photos using Postimage:
View image: Westerby Rogue 2
View image: Westerby Rogue
View image: Obera

Eolith 08-28-2012 09:59 AM

I'm not entirely sure that I understand. Are you saying that because the dam has some good dressage names in her bloodlines, you feel obligated to use the foal for dressage?

If you feel that dressage is really something you'd like to get into, then go for it -- but don't convince yourself that you'll be doing your colt a disservice if you don't use him for dressage! I'm sure he'll be perfectly happy and more than capable of doing any discipline that you choose.

MoonCoin 08-28-2012 10:06 AM

Hi and thanks for your reply.
I suppose I should have made myself clearer... Although I myself am not interested much in dressage (more of a happy hacker!) I am still wondering whether his breeding and comformation would allow him to compete in high level dressage should the occasion for him arise. For example, we have a family friend involved with such events and he may, in the future, be interested in riding for us. Basically I am asking for an all-round opinion on the colt's looks from a professional or experienced person. His comformation etc.
Thanks again :)

Eolith 08-28-2012 10:42 AM

Well, first of all I'll say that at such a young age it's more or less impossible to know anything for sure. Until he's about 3 yrs old, you won't know for certain just what you have on your hands. As he appears right now, I honestly have to say that I don't see him as being an ultra-high level dressage horse. I can't say that I am the most skillful at reading a horse's conformation, but from what I can see so far, he appear somewhat ewe-necked, and he doesn't have quite as much hip as I might like to see. Highly competitive dressage horses need to have a lot of power and drive coming from behind, and I'm not sure he'd be able to pull that off. Of course, being as he's still so young, these things may change as he continues to grow.

Just for the sake of comparison, here's a foal around the same age that I feel should have a good deal of dressage potential.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...99531294_n.jpg

churumbeque 08-28-2012 11:00 AM

By the photo's provided I wouldn't have guessed it to be anything special.

~*~anebel~*~ 08-28-2012 11:04 AM

Where as I see the horse you posted as being too upright in the patterns, long cannons, too little bone and an upright shoulder, I think the chestnut is far better conformed for dressage. I would not yet fault his neck, because the shoulder is good and the neck is placed far enough up. The angles in the hind are also what we look for, not the size of the haunch unless it is noticeably tiny and I was actually impressed already with the size of his haunch.

Of course, yes, you will have to wait and see until he is older, but as a rough statistic only about 1 in every 3 young horses bred for dressage work out. Many go lame or do not have the mind for it. Also IMO with the horse being dutch, be very careful about who starts him and who rides him. They are especially sensitive and strong willed horses.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

muumi 08-28-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 1662624)
Where as I see the horse you posted as being too upright in the patterns, long cannons, too little bone and an upright shoulder, I think the chestnut is far better conformed for dressage. I would not yet fault his neck, because the shoulder is good and the neck is placed far enough up. The angles in the hind are also what we look for, not the size of the haunch unless it is noticeably tiny and I was actually impressed already with the size of his haunch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just for clarity, is the first part of your comment directed at the bay foal that Eolith posted, or the mare of the OP's? And then only the second part to the OP's chestnut foal?

MoonCoin 08-28-2012 11:59 AM

Hi, thank you both for your feedback. Any feedback is good feedback at this stage. I understand how it is very unclear how he will end up in the future, I was merely enquiring as to whether he was a good prospect.
Would it be beneficial to have him graded? Would he have a good chance?

~*~anebel~*~ 08-28-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonCoin (Post 1662679)
Hi, thank you both for your feedback. Any feedback is good feedback at this stage. I understand how it is very unclear how he will end up in the future, I was merely enquiring as to whether he was a good prospect.
Would it be beneficial to have him graded? Would he have a good chance?

Yes, it is always beneficial to have the horse tested and registered. The people doing the testing are far more experienced in evaluating young horses than anyone on here. As a general rule of thumb, a "good horse" is going to score well above 80% at an inspection.

Yes, muumi, sorry the post was unclear.