The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Its going to be a long hard winter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/its-going-long-hard-winter-136010/)

bjb 08-28-2012 10:46 AM

Its going to be a long hard winter

I dont know what things are like where everyone else is located but here the hay shortage and prices are starting to really worry me. I know our horses are safe because we take our own hay off so that is a little comforting but even at that we dont have any extra hay, we usually have enough extra to sell some. I really am quite concerned about everyone else. Even the rescue organizations are not sure how their gonna make it. I have heard some rescues are already downsizing. It leads me to believe there are going to be a lot of horses put on the market for super cheap prices and many will be starving. it saddens me because theres nothing I will be able to do to help.....:-(

Budhorse4 08-28-2012 10:53 AM

Yeah, we picked a bad time to bring our horses home. I was able to find 25 bales so far, but I am still looking for more.

lilruffian 08-28-2012 11:01 AM

Always keep an eye out for alfalfa cubes. You can feed those all winter long without hay and i know many feed stores around my area atleast ship them in. If you can buy them in bulk it's also quite often cheaper than hay.

bjb 08-28-2012 11:05 AM

chances are the price of alfalfa is going to go up to. grain has already started to climb and its probably gonna get more expensive along with everything else about the only thing I see coming down price wise is livestock prices

BarrelRacingLvr 08-28-2012 12:25 PM

Ya where I'm at fuel is skyrocketing and going higher every day...some times they change prices TWICE in one day...no joke. So with fuel going up hay is going up...grains are now starting to slowly go up.

I know people who were down south and ran out of hay and they didn't want to pay the CRAZY high price for hay and fed Alfalfa Cubes and Beet Pulp.
Posted via Mobile Device

Copperhead 08-28-2012 01:04 PM

So far, my board hasn't gone up. But I'm waiting for it. She raised pasture board 3 years ago because of the hay and I'm just waiting for that phone call.

Country Woman 08-28-2012 01:27 PM

I hope everyone gets the hay they need fir the horses

Paradise 08-28-2012 08:58 PM

The prices are really concerning, and it's sad how many horses are going to suffer, and how many people are going to have to give up the horses they love.

On the bright side, my trainer thinks that these prices will give the horse market a bit of a boost by culling out so many of them.

We were VERY lucky to get hay (relatively) cheap, so we're set for winter. I am so thankful for that. Hope we'll have a better year next.

EthanQ 08-28-2012 09:32 PM

Not only that, but it's also supposed to be another dry winter...here in kansas last winter had little snow or rain, then drought this summer, And now this. I am not sure how much more it'll take before people around here snap.

cebee 08-28-2012 09:38 PM

Our barn owner has enough hay.. thank heavens. Several people moved out, and while that is not good for her bottom line, it is a relief hay wise. Some people finally got small second cuttings here in Michigan.. so that is helping but I think a lot of people will be letting go of horses cheap soon... sad...