The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Press #2 for english (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/press-2-english-136021/)

busysmurf 08-28-2012 01:11 PM

Press #2 for english

This is just my little rant of the day. I was trying to make reservations for our 12th wedding anniversary online and the website was giving me problems. So I called the "help" line. Person #1 wasn't able to help because it wasn't her dept. Person #2 who's name was "Jane" spoke very poor english. She had a very Middle Eastern accent. Obviously there was a communication barrier. I was trying to stay calm, but getting VERY frustrated, same on her end. I finally said "thank you, I'll try again on my own" and hung up.

15 min. later, after no progress, called again. Different person, same language barrier. After 10 min on the phone, the person told me I "must be computing wrong, I make no sense." I asked for an agent that spoke english as a native language. No such person.

I understand company's send call cntr jobs overseas for cheaper labor, but REALLY?!?!

Stubborn me, calls a third time. Guess what, a native english speaker!!! Problem solved in less than 5 min.

It's not that I have a problem w/ other languages, just that I don't know any others, so when I press the button for english, I get frustrated when the person on the other end doesn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

nikelodeon79 08-28-2012 01:50 PM

I always immediately ask for a supervisor. Generally, I'll get someone who can understand me and vice versa.

kitten_Val 08-28-2012 02:10 PM

busy, have you ever dealt with recruiters? For many of them English is 2nd (3rd, 4th) language, so you have really hard time to understand some of them. Still they try to sell you. :D

DancingArabian 08-28-2012 02:58 PM

I don't even bother trying the English lines anymore. I call the Spanish lines. Perk of being bilingual :) Their wait times are also always pretty much non-existent whenever I've had to call.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 08-28-2012 03:03 PM

This is one of my pet peeves, too.

SEnd a letter to the company (email), and choose a different company to recieve your dollars.

The US needs to firmly declare English as our official language and stand by that.

PaintHorseMares 08-28-2012 04:27 PM

^^^ The problem is that those folks in the call centers do speak English, you just can't understand with their accent.
Posted via Mobile Device

busysmurf 08-28-2012 06:19 PM

^^ it's a USA owned company, if people can't understand the agents at their overseas call center, then why have a call center at all? How is it helpful to call a help # & not be able to understand what you're being told? If it were an overseas based company, it'd be my own prob to try & understand them.

When I finally got the answer to my question, the person said my question didn't translate well into other languages, but made perfect sense to a native english speaker. So is it my responsibility to translate my question to other languages when calling an "english" call center, or is it the responsibility of the call center to make sure their agents understand more than basic english?
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 08-28-2012 07:52 PM

I feel sorry for the people who staff those call centers because they are just trying to do the best they can. They end up receiveing the anger and frustration of people like you and me, who want to do business in our own language and not struggle to understand. I don't blame them, but it doesn't make the experience any more fun.

Meatos 08-28-2012 08:59 PM

I've struggled with my fair share of ethic call centre reps, but you know what? Learning to deal with different people from all walks of life is a part of life. There are more important things to worry about.

The person on the other end of the line is probably just as frustrated as you are, and is doing their best in a language that isn't native to them. They've got way more barriers in everyday life just by living in a new country. All we've got is barriers with call centres, everything else is easy. Not so bad once you look at it that way.

tinyliny 08-28-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meatos (Post 1663238)
I've struggled with my fair share of ethic call centre reps, but you know what? Learning to deal with different people from all walks of life is a part of life. There are more important things to worry about.

The person on the other end of the line is probably just as frustrated as you are, and is doing their best in a language that isn't native to them. They've got way more barriers in everyday life just by living in a new country. All we've got is barriers with call centres, everything else is easy. Not so bad once you look at it that way.

I agree, to a point. It is the responsibility of the company , whose name and reputation are being represented by these folks as call centers, to ensure that their workers really can speak English clearly. After all, they outsource this to save money, right? not to be nice and give foreigners a leg up economically. You pay them for their product, and you expect service commensurate with the price you pay. If possible, vote with your dollars.