The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will floating teeth help weight gain?

7K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Saddlebag 
#1 ·
We have had Queen for about 1.5 years. She had her teeth floated about a year prior to us purchasing her. I would say she needs to gain maybe 100 pounds or something close to that. I have noticed here recently, that she has been dropping some of her grain. What do you think, would floating her teeth help her gain weight?

#4 ·
As others have said, it'll help weightgain if bad teeth are the reason, but I'd imagine her teeth wouldn't be great, as on average, they need their teeth attended yearly, especially if they're being fed grain.

#7 ·
Yes, if her teeth are the reason she is losing weight. Horses can lose weight from a bunch of different reasons. If her teeth have not been floated in awhile, that could very much so be why she is losing weight. It could also be from wolf teeth or abscesses. So I would definitly call the dentist out.

Also check to make sure she is up to date with her worming, get a fecal if you are not sure.

#8 ·
My horses dribble grain because it's not easy to hold onto a mouthful and chew it. Find a means to spread her grain over a large area so she nibbles at it. This will increase her digestion of the grain because she can't stuff her cheeks. Even an old door will work if you screw 1x4's around the perimeter to provide a lip and turn it into a table. Provide her hay in a small mesh hay net. This too makes them nibble. Remember, the fast in the faster out with not a lot of digestion going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.