The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Skin infection- wild rose bushes? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/skin-infection-wild-rose-bushes-136057/)

KatieQ 08-28-2012 08:32 PM

Skin infection- wild rose bushes?

Both my boys have got some sort of nasty skin condition on their faces and necks- it started out like crusty, blistered skin which I thought was sweet itch or some sort of reaction to the bugs- I used MTG and swat on Cody's neck and it seemed to clear up, mostly. But then Banjo got it, much worse. He is very itchy and has rubbed himself raw in places and it is getting worse- weeping, open sores on both sides of his face. A friend told me she saw a similar thing once when she kept her horse in a field with wild rose bushes, which mine has a lot of. Has anyone heard of this reaction, or have any suggestions? I'm at a loss. I tried googling it but no success. Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

KatieQ 08-28-2012 10:33 PM

I'm bumping this

Ladytrails 08-28-2012 10:41 PM

No idea, except that Stan from NZ has a similar problem that seems to be triggered by a tick collar for horses.

stevenson 08-28-2012 10:47 PM

if its showing up first on one horse, then the other, is it contagious?
Maybe you should contact a Vet.

KatieQ 08-28-2012 11:13 PM

I will be contacting the vet very soon (next day or two) if this doesnt clear up. I am trying to deal with it myself as the little guy (Cody) is going in Sept 5 for a very expensive surgery (gelding for a cryptorchid) and this suddenly happened. I have talked to the surgeon and he will still do the surgery, but he has no idea what it is from my description over the phone. He is not our local vet but I am trusting the local vet less and less these days.

KatieQ 08-28-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladytrails (Post 1663395)
No idea, except that Stan from NZ has a similar problem that seems to be triggered by a tick collar for horses.

No tick collar here (never even heard of them) but it makes me wonder if it might be the fly spray I'm using... maybe there is something in it they are allergic to (they are full brothers so could easily have similar allergies, etc.) I put a lot of it on their faces because they are such bratty little boys I can't put fly masks on them- they just tear them off each other and then shred them!

waresbear 08-29-2012 12:22 AM

I heard it could be from clover & the sun, but not sure about that. Sounds like a reaction to something for sure. I have many wild rose bushes around, other than me getting thorns imbedded in MY skin, nothing on the horses at all.

KatieQ 08-29-2012 12:54 AM

Not a whole lot of clover here-I am almost convinced it is something in the fly repellent- it was a fairly cheap kind I bought in bulk and doesn't work very well at all as a repellent- just makes them (and me) all greasy. It has citronella in it- could that be it?

paintedpastures 08-29-2012 12:58 AM

We have pasture full of wild rose bushes:-( & The horses aren't effected by them at all.I just hate them though, prickly weeds is what they are:evil:

KatieQ 08-29-2012 07:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics taken today. As you can see it is pretty ugly. The white stuff is hibitane cream I had started putting on before I took the pictures. He has it all over his face, under his mane along the top of his neck, and on either side of his tail. He had been rubbing his mane and tail before this so I started using MTG. I'm wondering if that is what caused this. Either that or the fly spray, I'm thinking. Any ideas would be appreciated.