The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How often do does your horse get ridden/exercised? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-often-do-does-your-horse-136077/)

Canteringleap 08-29-2012 04:50 AM

How often do does your horse get ridden/exercised?

I'm curious to see how often everyones horse(s) gets ridden or exercised, also what you do with them (eventing,dressage, sh, sj or just general fun :) )

I exercise mine four times a week, and have been told that is not really enough for competing - However he is 14 and has only been brought back into work in the last three months after two years off (before I had him)

Thanks guys :)

naomigarner 08-29-2012 05:14 AM

I ride my horse on a hack every day. If I miss a day, she gets a longer hack the next day. Sometimes I take her in the school instead if a hack. She is 7 btw. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Canteringleap 08-29-2012 05:35 AM

What a lucky horse! what kind of hacking do you have available to you? I'd love to go hacking more (I hack out twice a week at the end of the ride) but its road area where I am, forestry runs available but only if it hasn't rained in three or more days!
Beautiful horse by the way :)

Ashsunnyeventer 08-29-2012 07:22 AM

I ride my gelding (15) every day because of health problems and I ride my mare (4) 5-6 days a week. I rode my gelding 5-6 times a week while we were competing in order to keep him in shape. What type of competing do you do?

Canteringleap 08-29-2012 07:34 AM

What health problems?):
Just dressage right now, eventually minor eventing stuff but i'll be riding five days a week for that, rides last an hour or more (not constant pressure work, hacking etc also) For just fun endurance stuff, what would you suggest a good routine would be?

PintoTess 08-29-2012 07:41 AM

I ride at least 3 times a week, more if I am preparing for a show. It is hard with college and all at the moment.

OwnedByAlli 08-29-2012 07:43 AM

I try to ride/work Alli 6 days a week. Mainly hacking, a bit of lunging or longreining and jumping 1or2 days a week. I sometimes do 2 sessions in a day if there is something I particulally want to work on, and the 2 sessions usually come in the form of lunging/longrein in the morning then hack/jump/school in the afternoon/evening, depend what my target is. She is 7 but has only been backed since last summer so shes doing 4/5yr old stuff

My overall target is simply to get her as responsive to whoa signals as go signals! I have to find a balance between riding her often enough it doesn't over excite her but not getting her so fit she has lots of energy everytime I take her out.

I was hoping to get her to some competitions this summer, just for the experience not to compete, but I have literally only last thursday moved her anywhere in a trailer. I don't have my own trailer so my plans and the neighbours plans have to work for anything to get done. Hopefully I will get her along to a big barn soon to use the arena there and get her used to traveling to new places!

DancingArabian 08-29-2012 10:10 AM

5-7 days a week

We do all sorts of things from baby dressage schooling, speed bump jumps, obstacles and hacks - usually some combination of all that while on a hack.
Posted via Mobile Device

4everiding 08-29-2012 11:13 AM

I do arena work 4x a week (1x jumping) and trails to build strength, confidence and stamina 2x a week (we do eventing).

NorthernMama 08-29-2012 11:57 AM

Wow, where do you all find the time? My horse is in my backyard and I can't get out that often. This week I'm lucky, I'll be out about 3 or 4 times, but the norm is only once or twice a week. Sometimes I miss a week or two as well, especially during my busy season at work.