The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pics of Banjo's skin infection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pics-banjos-skin-infection-136140/)

KatieQ 08-29-2012 09:55 PM

Pics of Banjo's skin infection

5 Attachment(s)
I tried putting these in the original thread but nobody looked at them. I am hoping someone can give me some ideas. He has scabby, weeping blisters on his face, neck area (under his mane) and both sides of his tail. I am thinking either a fungal infection of some sort, or an allergy. I had recently started using M-T-G on him as he was rubbing his mane and tail. It could also be the fly spray I was using. I cannot put fly masks on my horses because they are young brats and they just pull them off each other. The white stuff you see in some of the pictures is hibitane ointment I had started applying before getting the camera.

Saddlebag 08-29-2012 10:33 PM

Please read your other thread as there have been responses.

KatieQ 08-29-2012 10:39 PM

Thanks I did. I googled ringworm and it seems it does not get itchy, so I am thinking it is sweet itch. Also it does not have the uniformly round lesions like ringworm- just large patches.

Saddlebag 08-29-2012 10:55 PM

Rather than commercial products what about the jelly goo from an Aloe Vera plant. It certainly wont hurt and you won't be adding chemicals to the open wounds.

poppy1356 08-29-2012 11:03 PM

MTG also has a very high rate of reactions to it. I would stop using it immediately.

KatieQ 08-29-2012 11:19 PM

I have stopped using both the MTG and the fly repellent. I had never heard about reactions to it but he seems to have flared up pretty much everywhere I put it. Right now I am treating with a Hibitane wash, followed by Hibitane ointment. I am hoping this will clear it up.

Foxhunter 08-30-2012 02:51 AM

Rather than Aloe, get some neem oil, rub that all over the areas. This works by helping to alleviate the itchiness and to keep the gnats away if it is sweet itch.

KatieQ 08-30-2012 10:35 AM

Thanks I'll look for that today. I also managed to find a fly mask his brother can't tear off him (so far, anyway). Hopefully that will at least give his face a chance to heal.

6W Ranch 08-30-2012 01:23 PM

It looks fungal. Resolve Wound Formula will clear it up fast & pretty inexpensive fix. Also, I'd bathe him in Black African Soap, the raw kind. It's also anti-fungal & will work more as preventative. It lathers well.

DRichmond 08-30-2012 09:51 PM

My choices for topical treatment would be Schreiner's, or colloidal silver, or highly diluted tea tree oil using a test spot first to determine whether there's any reaction to it. Because of the proximity to the eyes I'd use colloidal silver. Simple betadine solution would likely help too.