The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Thinking about selling Sparkles (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/thinking-about-selling-sparkles-136182/)

Debbiesgypsy 08-30-2012 11:26 AM

Thinking about selling Sparkles

So i have had sparkles since February. She is a great horse but now I remember why i said no more horses on my place. Horses are not easy keepers like my cattle. They are always in need. Vaccinations, worming teeth, hooves, training etc. I have spent more on this horse in the last 6 months than i have on all 7 of my cattle. I love this horse and do enjoy her. Unfortunately i do not ride enough to keep up on her training. And i feel she is just getting fat out in pasture. I really don't want to sell her, she has been passed around so much from the time she was 1 day old. Yep she was sold and shipped out with her DAM at 1 day old. I Would really like to give her a for ever home. The part of me that likes horses sayes keep her she is a great horse and is always good for a laugh and makes me smile every time i go out and she comes up to the fence for some quality petting. but the Business side of me says she is 1500+lbs of a big pretty walking money pit. Any thoughts on the idea.

Thanks

No hate mail please

CLaPorte432 08-30-2012 11:33 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Most horses are big walking money pits. Lol.

I fork more money into my horses and dogs then anything else. I dont ride the way i used to but i still couldnt get rid of them.

If your heart isnt into keeping her...then place her up for sale. You dont have to sell her to the first person thats interested. Wait for the perfect home.
Posted via Mobile Device

FeatheredFeet 08-30-2012 02:39 PM

I agree with the above. Word you ad carefully and truthfully. Place the ad in Drafts for sale.

Lizzie

Debbiesgypsy 08-31-2012 02:53 AM

here is a little youtube video of sparkles today.

Debbiesgypsy 08-31-2012 03:25 AM

and one more. sorry i kind of zoomed in to close and the video got a little blury.

cakemom 08-31-2012 05:50 AM

She's lovely. Shouldn't have any trouble selling her.
Posted via Mobile Device

FeatheredFeet 08-31-2012 01:24 PM

Oh my. She sure is a hippobottomous isn't she and you know how much I love the chunks. Drafties are becoming more popular by the day. I'm sure you will be able to find her the perfect home.

Lizzie

4everiding 08-31-2012 01:36 PM

You need to make the choice that is right by you. You have a lot more sense than people I know who have perfectly healthy and sound horses but don't do a thing with them but they are to sentimental to find the horse a new home. You seem to have taken into account the cost of your mare, your love for her, and her happiness. Just be picky about who you sell to.

FeatheredFeet 08-31-2012 01:46 PM

^^ plus those who wait too long and allow horses to become starved with little hope of even finding a new home.

Lizzie

Debbiesgypsy 08-31-2012 07:01 PM

I went back and looked at her pics from June 11th. And i got to say wow i have let her get way to fat. She started her diet yesterday. she went back onto dry lot and will be fed stemmy grass hay.