The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Stressed! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/stressed-136261/)

Schulzs89 08-31-2012 09:01 AM

Stressed!

I'm going to pick up my colt this Sunday, which I am excited about but lately I have just been stressed out about and really just want to get a few things over with.

Now, I did sign a contract stating that once a deposit is put down on my horse I am responsible for all vetting, hi paid him off fully the first week of august, however lately I have discovered a few things... My colts, who is now 3 and half months old, his dam didn't get the west Nile vaccine before her foaling and I'm not sure if she had any other shots, the breeder started weaning him at 3 months, originally she was going to wean him sept. 15 at 4 months, then when he was three months she told me they would wean him sept. 1, well she ended up weaning him at three months on the dot because his dam " was getting pulled down." she didn't tell me she had started weaning til the day after when he broke through two stalls, went through an electric fence, she said the only visible injury was a few scratches on his face and that "he bit his lip"... I didn't get any pictures but she said he cleaned him up. Regardless, he has not had any of his boosters yet including tetanus because he is just three months old, which the vet starts them between 3-4 months.

The breeder has been nothing but kind to me, but kind people can be irresponsible etc....

We are going to go up and get him on Sunday, and I'm going to have my vet check him over and do shots on Monday. My biggest fears are west Nile since its really bad down here and he has had no protection and tetanus or something similar... If he is healthy I am happy, but I think it is screwy that I'm being held responsible when she is taking things on her own accord without me knowing til something happens... I'm just ready to get him here and be over with the nonsense....

That is my rant! I'm hoping I'm stressing over nothing... But I know I few things like his shots need to be taken care of ASAP and in the future I know I need to ask more questions before signing the contract instead of after... So I know I'm at fault here too...

Jewelsb 08-31-2012 09:11 AM

I know a few breeders who don't give the west Nile vaccine to pregnant mare because of the risk of it making the mares abort. My mare did not get the vaccine. They can still get west Nile even if they get the vaccine. Just like we can still get the flu when vaccinated.
The lady I got my bred mare from told me that the year the west Nile vaccine came out she gave it to all her horses, including the pregnant mares. Not one delivered a healthy foal that year. She refused to give it to pregnant mares again.

I don't think it's right that she weaned him without discussing it first with you. I would have been mad. I'm glad he wasn't seriously hurt when he got out though.
Goodluck Sunday I hope he is in good condition. She should have sent you pics after his incident.
Posted via Mobile Device

Schulzs89 08-31-2012 09:24 AM

I think I am just stressing on the most part over nothing, because just figuring out his transportation has been a pain in the you know where... Because my husband doesn't trust me with his truck and trailer on a longer trip, but we have a son so one of us was going to go and the other stay home with him , he is ten months old, but my husband isn't horse savvy... Anyways now I'm going with my friend and her husband so that is taken care of... I think I'm just a worry wart sometimes...

I feel like I should have had her vet go out and start boosters last week, but I got caught up in getting everything else ready, and was thinking he would be okay until he can be seen by my vet here... Crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly... And lots of prayers!

Jewelsb 08-31-2012 09:29 AM

I know how that goes my daughter is 10 1/2 months. We just moved our horses from stables to our property and though my daughter gets annoyed being in a truck for that long, we decided she will just go along for the ride! She always goes on long trips in the car. We figure she will get used to it and just bring extra toys & food for her to keep her occupied.
I think it will all work out just fine for you. Just try to relax and prepare for when he gets home.
Do we get pics?:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Schulzs89 08-31-2012 09:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
haha yes, these are him at three months. he has one blue eye.

texasgal 08-31-2012 09:43 AM

Ugh .. that is the most tension-creating time.. when you own a horse, but he's not home yet!

Just breathe, girl, after Sunday it will all be ok... *hugs*

Schulzs89 08-31-2012 09:47 AM

Ain't that the truth, Texasgal!

My husband bought him for me, but for some reason he isn't into animals, so when i'm getting stressed out about it he is like "chill, it's just a horse." and I'm like "look, i'm trying to protect your investment for me, okay?!"

texasgal 08-31-2012 09:51 AM

I had my mare transported from Ohio to Texas.. sight unseen .. with a 6 month filly at her side.

From the time they put her in the trailer until she arrived DAYS later .. I did not eat, sleep, or speak nicely to anyone.. lol.

it's just really stressful until you get you hands on them and count all their fingers and toes, ya know??

lol

Schulzs89 08-31-2012 09:53 AM

You're making me feel better, I'm almost exactly like that except I have been eating nothing but enchiladas and pizza all week... lol I swear I usually eat healthier haha

texasgal 08-31-2012 10:03 AM

You will be able to breathe again Sunday night..