The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How to train the horse for "Halter" & "Western Pleasure" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-train-horse-halter-western-pleasure-136333/)

Jewels 09-01-2012 01:41 AM

How to train the horse for "Halter" & "Western Pleasure"

Next Summer I plan to use my moms horse for Halter/Western pleasure, for fun, and for the learning part of it (experience). SO my questions are;
"HALTER"
Where to start?
How to train for Halter?
What does my horse need to know, and how can I train him this?
How to make him stand perfect each time, make his ear stand up etc?
The steps to training my horse this?
How to groom what i might need to fix,etc..

(If needed, for conformation photos, let me know and I will post them!)

"WESTERN PLEASURE"
What all does my horse need to know?
What will I be judged on?
What might the judge ask me to do?
How to train for this; the steps to training?

Note; my horse does a collected gallop, and pends at his poll very nicely, if you really interested in helping me and teaching me (which I SUPER appreciate if you would!!) I will post a video of what I already know, and you can critique me, and tell me what else needs to be done.

Thanks everyone! :D

ALSO please incorporate steps if you will to help me out! :happydance:

WickedNag 09-01-2012 08:14 AM

I don't know how to train but I know the judges here follow a 3 second rule as far as the allowed time to set them up. I don't show but watch my daughter who moves the lead rope and her body to set her horse up

Red Gate Farm 09-01-2012 09:11 AM

It would take pages and pages to "tell" you how to do these things.

The best way is to find a trainer who currently shows in the discipline you are interested in, and work under them. They will be able to assess your horse to see if it is suitable for halter and western pleasure (two very distinct body types there, by the way).

They can show you what to do and correct you right away. They will know the latest trends in clothing and gear you will need. You can even go to shows with them to get an eye for what's winning.

Asking on a board is going to get you a few pointers, but not the whole picture if you're serious about showing.

Good luck and have fun!

Palomine 09-01-2012 08:51 PM

RGF is correct. Without knowing what you need to be doing already, I seriously doubt anyone could pull this off, that had not at least ridden WP quite a bit already.

The training if a long process, and there are so many things to it.

Find someone and work for them, or find a trainer to train you and horse.