The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Question of horse ownership ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/question-horse-ownership-136343/)

MegsRose 09-01-2012 09:24 AM

Question of horse ownership ?

I have a friend, Ann. I've known Ann for a couple years now and she has always had two horses. She was engaged and recently split from the guy. I have seen him once. Her second horse was the horse he would ride when involved with the horses, which was rare. Ann and her teenage son picked up this horse and paid cash for her nearly 3 years ago. She did not get a bill of sale on the mare. I do believe that the ex contributed towards the purchase price of the horse but was not involved in the transaction.

Ann has cared for and treated this horse as her own for the duration of ownership. The ex is not a horseman. Ann paid the monthly pasture rental for both of her horses as well. When Ann and her ex split, she moved the horses to my facility. The previous pasture was 2 blocks from the ex and she did not feel comfortable being there any longer.

In the meantime, the ex( this story is to give insight on his actions) decided to take her boat that was stored in a neutral location. The police were involved and the boat was quickly returned. She has owned the boat for 20 years. Silly man.

Now... He wants the horse!! He wants the money ($250) that he contributed towards her purchase price and plans to sell the mare at auction. (This is disturbing because the local horse auctions here (AL) have a large number of meat buyers.) He has involved local law enforcement. Supposedly, this police investigator has told him that if he can get a bill of sale on the mare, not if he HAS a bill of sale, he would accompany the ex to my horse farm and get her back. Now the ex is currently trying to contact the previous owner to get a bill of sale on the horse so he can come pick her up.

Here is my question. If the ex pulls up at my farm with a law enforcement officer that is not in my farm's jurisdiction, what would be my response? Or if they pull up with local law and a bill of sale that was recently acquired? Would me asking for a court order be a good response if someone shows up at my barn to remove a horse? I am not an active boarding facility but am capable of boarding(I just avoid drama, haha) I do have a boarding agreement with Ann for her two horses and feel I could be her Huckleberry in this situation because the horse in on my property.

In my logical mind, I think this would be a civil issue and a court would have to determine ownership, not law enforcement. Ann has obviously invested way more than his small contribution to price of purchase in this mare over the past three years. My experience with relationships ending is sometimes we take a loss with some things. does anyone have insight on this kind of situation? I sure don't!!

Celeste 09-02-2012 03:41 PM

If it were my horse, I would pay the $250 to make him sign the horse over. It sounds like she did a good days work when she got rid of that man.

gunslinger 09-02-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 1668876)
If it were my horse, I would pay the $250 to make him sign the horse over. It sounds like she did a good days work when she got rid of that man.

Yep, just pay him off and move on.

PaintHorseMares 09-02-2012 04:40 PM

I agree, also. You'll have more than $250 in aggregation otherwise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 09-02-2012 05:10 PM

yeh and then he will come up with something new.
Id ask for a court order and tell the cops to piss off and get off your property until they have one. Sounds like ******o is reading into what the cops told him though. Sounds like original cop was blowing him off, as in "sure buddy show me a bill of sale"
Why not get the current owner to contact prior owner and give them a heads up.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-02-2012 05:26 PM

A/ She needs to get a court order to make him cease and desist until they have a court hearing to determine division of any and all property they acquired together.

B/ She needs to contact the previous owner and get the bill of sale in her name only

C/ She needs to round up every receipt she's ever had showing what she's
contributed to the care of this horse

D/ She also needs to ask for palimony since they weren't married

E/ A restraining order specifying he is not to come on the property where the horse is boarded in addidition to remaining 300 ft away from her and her son's person wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I'm willing to bet if she'll invest a couple hundred $$$ like that, he'll run like a scalded cat.

stormylass 09-04-2012 08:06 PM

Dreamcatcher is right!! I would add one... tell him you will counter sue for 1/2 of all the board,feed,and aaaallll those receipts!! doesnt matter if you really can get anything... you just have to make him sweat!! make him think about the 250 bucks versus aaalll that other money that is being spent! he should really think about what he is doing.... but then if he was a good guy she probably wouldnt have broken up with him now would she!!

waresbear 09-04-2012 08:26 PM

OP, also tell your friend to be very careful as to who sleeps with in the future. The ex is out for revenge.