The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   light rider bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/light-rider-bridle-136346/)

alyssaanne 09-01-2012 10:03 AM

light rider bridle

LightRider Bridle - English - Natural Horse World

ok. so im making the english switch and i've been researching bitless options like crazy. its my aunts horse and she really doesnt want a bit in her mouth. right now she rides western in an english hackamore and i really dont like it. especially for english. its ok for western since you can keep a loose rein tho. so this is the best sounding one for this horse i can find. i want something mild, but that has more control than a sidepull. plus shes already used to chin pressure. so i guess im trying to see if there is anyone here that has experience with it or something similar. or just general opinions. i know the whole bitless bridle topic has been beaten to death, but i could really use some advice. also let me add that i think my horse wouldnt do well in dr cooks and i want something with quick release.

alyssaanne 09-04-2012 09:52 AM

anyone?

bsms 09-04-2012 10:01 AM

http://www.naturalhorseworldstore.co...83226_zoom.jpg

Never used one, but I wouldn't try it. It really looks like an expensive ($89) way to squeeze the jaw. I think it would be both confusing and annoying to the horse...but like I said, I've never tried one like that. Nor will I...think it would make my mare buck. I'd greatly prefer a sidepull to that.

Joe4d 09-04-2012 10:27 AM

get her teeth and mouth examined, and barring any conditions put a bit in her mouth and be done with it. Stop concerning yourself with what the horse "wants". Horse just gonna have to get over it. What a horse wants is to stand in a big field and eat all day. Only use I see with a hack or bitless is an endurance horse where eating and drinking on the trail a bit better can be an advantage, even then many people dont use them till the second loop as tthey are lacking in brakes. Other than that I dont see anything being done bitless you cant do with a bit.

SaddleOnline 09-04-2012 12:42 PM

without opening up the can of worms that is bitless vs bitted bridles, since it sounds like you don't have a choice since it isn't your horse, I would say that looks like a good option for what you are looking to accomplish.

Good Luck!

verona1016 09-04-2012 12:51 PM

That bridle doesn't look particularly sophisticated- like bsms said, it looks like an expensive way to squeeze the horse's jaw.

If price is an issue, I think you'd do just as well by putting clip on reins onto the horse's halter.

If you have a little bit of a bigger budget, take a look at the Micklem Bridle: Micklem Multibridle - Dressage Bridles from SmartPak Equine It can be used with or without a bit, so if you can convince your aunt to let you try a bit, you already have the tack.

ozarkmama 09-04-2012 01:22 PM

Try the Freedom bridle from moss rock endurance.
Freedom Bridle - Moss Rock Endurance - Your Source for Custom Biothane Competitive Tack