The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Coconut Oil Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/coconut-oil-questions-136353/)

PaintedFury 09-01-2012 12:10 PM

Coconut Oil Questions

I just bought some coconut oil yesterday to use on my hair and my horses, but I have a couple of questions about how to use it on my horses.

How often should I use it on the horsrs?
Does it have to be washed out, or can it be left in?
If used sparingly, does it attrack dirt?

I guess I just need all the information that I can get on using it on the horse's manes and tails.

I used it on my hair yesterday, after I decided to dy my hair back to it's natural color, and it worked amazingly. If it does half as well on the horses as it did on me, it will be well worth using it.

vera 09-02-2012 07:27 PM

You shouldn't have to wash it out. Just rub some on your hands and run it through their tails/manes. I'm not sure if it would attract dirt or not though or how often to use it. If it were me I'd use it once a week.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 09-02-2012 07:29 PM

I use coconut oil all the time but not on the horse or my hair. I use it to preserve my tan, lol.

PaintedFury 09-02-2012 07:45 PM

Vera, thanks for the reply. Waresbear, you use it like a after shower oil, or what exactly?
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 09-02-2012 07:47 PM

Yes, exactly! Right after a shower, I like palmers coconut oil, no greasy oily feeling, and absorbs really quickly.

callidorre 09-06-2012 04:18 AM

I usually only put coconut oil on my horse after a full bath. Which is like 5 times or less a year (I usually just take a bucket and sponge him down instead of a full out bath). I don't really think about it to put it on more often. And if I'm giving him a full bath, I usually want him looking nice for a specific event. It makes his grey mane and tail nice and shiny and laying nicely. It makes his hair a little heavy the first day but looks great after a little time. I don't wash it out, and I put a decent amount in. It doesn't attract dirt to his hair, but perhaps it would to a horse with diffferent hair, like one with a fuller mane and tail. My horse Kaiba is a quarter horse and his mane and tail aren't exceptionally thin or thick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 09-06-2012 07:22 AM

How often you use the oil is up to you. For me personally, I use it bi-weekly (I mean I completely grease that mane and tail up :rofl:) until the hair is holding the moisture better, and eventually I wean it off to only a once-a-month treatment.

I keep it in, I also braid the mane and tail for the first hour (if you can do a better braid than I can, put one in that will last the day) to help pull the hair and encourage growth.

I haven't had coconut oil attract dirt as badly as say baby oil, but it does get let some stick in. However it makes getting tangles out so much easier that really I don't mind having to clean up a little extra dirt.

Hope that helps, and here's a picture of my mares thick and lovely manes which are examples of hard grooming, good nutrition... and of course their monthly oil treatments :D

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...23322192_n.jpg

*The pintaloosa had a sunburn on her nose at the time, Tia is still getting used to having a horse with pink skin >_<

PaintedFury 09-06-2012 10:53 AM

Tia, you're going to think that I'm crazy, but buy some el cheapo Vitamin E cream from Wal Mart, or where ever. It works wonders on sunburnt noses. Both of my mares have white noses/lips, and I put a little on them and within a couple of days, no more sunburn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 09-06-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintedFury (Post 1673672)
Tia, you're going to think that I'm crazy, but buy some el cheapo Vitamin E cream from Wal Mart, or where ever. It works wonders on sunburnt noses. Both of my mares have white noses/lips, and I put a little on them and within a couple of days, no more sunburn.
Posted via Mobile Device

I never heard that being suggested, I'll keep it in mind, thank you :-) We had some Aloe after-sun lotion that I dabbed on her poor muzzle and it seems to have cleared up, but when this stuff is out I might go compare prices and see if your stuff is cheaper, bahahaha! Love to pinch pennies if the stuff still works.

PaintedFury 09-06-2012 11:18 AM

The one that I get is usually in a double pack at wal-mart in the lotion section. It's like $0.98 for the pack. Like I said, el cheapo.
Posted via Mobile Device