The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Why is my pony striking the ground with his hind legs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/why-my-pony-striking-ground-his-136360/)

Lauren15 09-01-2012 02:19 PM

Why is my pony striking the ground with his hind legs?

Hello my name is Lauren,

I have a 13.3h french cob x I have owned him for about 2 months now, and ever since i brought him he has been striking/kicking the ground with his hind legs. At first, I thought that he had extremely itchy legs due to the fact that he spend alot of time in a sand pen before i got him. The second day of owning him i washed his legs to make sure that this wasn't the problem. This stopped for quite a few days. Then he started up again. This time i thought that maybe he had mites due to him having feathers. I treated this problem with frontline. There is no sign at all that he has mites!

I read up about 'Pig oil and sulphur' i brought some but still haven't tried this yet. Do you think this will help??

Any suggestions of what i can do? Thanks if you have some ideas:-)

Lauren x

FeatheredFeet 09-01-2012 03:31 PM

If he has any feathered breed in him, striking the ground, biting at feet, scratching rear legs on something, IS an absolute sign he is in distress and has something nasty going on under the feather.

Remember, if he had mites, he could have been re-infested from bedding etc. Most of us do use frontline for mites. You need to also read this through thoroughly...

Chronic Progressive Lymphedema

Shave off all feather so you can see what you are dealing with. Then proceed.

Pig Oil and Sulphur does work. You will need to be very careful though, that you purchase the correct type of sulphur.

Lizzie

Lauren15 09-01-2012 04:29 PM

Ok, thanks so much for the reply, i really appreciate it. I will definately shave off his feathers; and see whats going on underneath. I'll tell you what I find... very worried now:cry:

Lauren x

FeatheredFeet 09-01-2012 05:09 PM

You are welcome. First shave off feather. Then treat for mites. Then you can follow instructions on the Wolf Manor link for the sulphur application.

Your horse might only have scratches/greasy heel and not full blown CPL. However, whatever he has, you need to get it under control now and check through feather when he grows it again, at least once a week. All owners of feathered horses need to have this done and constantly.

Let me know how things go along.

Why do you call him a 'French' cob?

Lizzie

Lauren15 09-02-2012 03:15 AM

I call him a french cob because I took him showing and the Judge said that he must be french because he has such short front legs :lol:. He does look quite strange if you see him at a distance x

PintoTess 09-02-2012 04:09 AM

There is a thing called "stringhalt" That is caused by the horse eating dandelion and fireweed. It is hyperflexion of the back legs. Im not sure if this is it or not... They seem to walk lifting their legs really high. Also im not sure if it can be seen anywhere other than Australia....

Probably not it but just putting the idea out there :D

A horse with String halt.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4854941544677780&pid=1.9

Taffy Clayton 09-02-2012 05:53 AM

He could need his sheeth cleaned, had a horse that did this when he had a bean.
Also had a Clyde that did that when his scratches flaired up.

Lauren15 09-02-2012 08:36 AM

Thanks for the reply PintoTess, i live in the Uk so thats probably not the problem, but thanks for suggesting that anyway. And thankyou Taffy, sheeth cleaning will be my first job for tomorrow.

Anyway, i shaved off all his feathers, and there seems to be only a few scabs under the fetlock, but other than that it all seems fine. I am going to buy some mites/lice sprays ect; and use pig oil and sulphur to try to stop anymore mites from hatching.

Saddlebag 09-02-2012 09:03 AM

Flies can be most annoying and a horse will stamp a hind in frustration, and to get rid of them. Fly sprays seem to deter the fly from biting, they don't necessarily deter the fly from landing momentarily.

FeatheredFeet 09-02-2012 11:57 AM

What a very strange thing for a judge to say. He's probably just built down-hill. Oh well. If he's the horse in your avatar, he looks like he might be a Gypsy Horse/Cob to me.

Lizzie