The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   DangNab Chicago Screws! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/dangnab-chicago-screws-136370/)

Walkamile 09-01-2012 04:34 PM

DangNab Chicago Screws!
 
Sooooo, Walka's new beautiful Tory Bridle came with Chicago Screws. Fine, I bought some nice thin leather strips to change out the screws. Of course I hadn't done that yet prior to today's trail ride.

As we're leading, yup you guessed it, one screw came off and his bit was hanging there. :oops: Fortunately my trainer/ friend was also on the ride so he took the bridle off the horse he was riding and gave it to me to use and he used his halter and lead rope. So, everything went fine and I didn't have to lead Walka the rest of the ride as I thought I may have to.

Moral to this story, don't put off what you know you need to do before something happens. Also, I am now packing an extra bridle and bit and my leather strips.:wink:

NorthernMama 09-01-2012 04:43 PM

If you put a dab of white glue on the threads, the screws will not come undone unexpectedly, but you are still able to remove them when necessary.

Darrin 09-01-2012 04:50 PM

I absolutely detest chicago screws and the person who invented them!

Walkamile 09-01-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMama (Post 1667848)
If you put a dab of white glue on the threads, the screws will not come undone unexpectedly, but you are still able to remove them when necessary.

Yes, on his old bridle I used clear nail polish. Worked quite well. Actually had a little difficulty removing them when I took the old bridle apart. However I've seen too many loose these screws at inopportune times out on the trail (and that's all I do, trail ride), so decided to change them out with leather strips. Waited too long of course, my fault, but was proud of Walka for standing and waiting for me to remove the bridle and change things around. I'm also putting the screws I'm not using in a little pouch in my cantle bag for someone facing what I did today. I can't throw them away, so against my nature! :lol:

Walkamile 09-01-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin (Post 1667853)
I absolutely detest chicago screws and the person who invented them!

:clap:Me too! But they sure are pretty!

smrobs 09-01-2012 06:10 PM

Yeah, I do like you. all my old bridles that came with Chicago screws got modified to water tie ends. I cannot stand the screws. If you don't glue them shut, they come apart at just the wrong moment and if you do, then it takes and act of God to get them undone when you need to LOL.

Anymore, when I'm buying new bridles, I will just skip over any that have screws on them anywhere.

Celeste 09-01-2012 06:15 PM

One reason that I leave a halter on my horse under the bridle is that I can use it to ride with in an emergency. I don't think that I will buy any more tack with screws.

Walkamile 09-02-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 1667952)
One reason that I leave a halter on my horse under the bridle is that I can use it to ride with in an emergency. I don't think that I will buy any more tack with screws.

Fortunately I decided to pack his halter and lead rope in my cantle bag at the last minute. Was only riding on my trails, about 2 hours, so thought I didn't need to pack them, glad I changed my mind.

Celeste, I could ride my girl T in just a halter and lead rope, but haven't built that trust with Walka yet. Something else for me to work on with him. The rain today kinda interfered with just that plan, but will be doing so tomorrow.

I love how there is always something else to work on and develop with a horse.....keeps things from getting boring! :wink:

Darrin 09-02-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 1668761)
Fortunately I decided to pack his halter and lead rope in my cantle bag at the last minute. Was only riding on my trails, about 2 hours, so thought I didn't need to pack them, glad I changed my mind.

Celeste, I could ride my girl T in just a halter and lead rope, but haven't built that trust with Walka yet. Something else for me to work on with him. The rain today kinda interfered with just that plan, but will be doing so tomorrow.

I love how there is always something else to work on and develop with a horse.....keeps things from getting boring! :wink:

Definately an advantage when they've been trained that way. I've got one I can ride with nothing more than a piece of bailing twine if needed. The other I've been remiss on, he'll ride in his halter but not well and certainly can't with twine.

Celeste 09-02-2012 03:04 PM

I haven't ridden my horse in just a halter, but I think she would be ok in an emergency.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0