The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Widowmaker (Apollo) about 3 months into rehab! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/widowmaker-apollo-about-3-months-into-136502/)

Horseychick94 09-02-2012 09:52 PM

Widowmaker (Apollo) about 3 months into rehab!

9 Attachment(s)
Hey y'all! At the beginning of the year, I made a change in my barn. Comet, the love of my life, went to a previous groom of his for rehab and a home as a pasture pet since I was going to put him down. Also, there was no progress with my mini mule, Sampson, as far as training so I sold him. With only my mini mare, Ruby left, I decided to buy a grade QH. While having him was nice, I felt emptiness in the place. A horse was advertised on facebook as "Widowmaker", a 10 yr old FRESH off the track grey STB gelding. Free with conditions. There was no photo provided and I got him sight unseen. I called the owner and he told me he was stressed out and a little thin from it. Well that was an understatement...now 3 months later....here is the new and improved...APOLLO! Lets start with some before pics....

Horseychick94 09-02-2012 09:54 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Now for some AFTERS!

Horseychick94 09-02-2012 09:58 PM

6 Attachment(s)
He still has a ways to go but he looks better and better EVERY day!

Copperhead 09-02-2012 10:10 PM

Very nice!

What made him a widowmaker?

Horseychick94 09-02-2012 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperhead (Post 1669282)
Very nice!

What made him a widowmaker?

maybe this? its just a race name though. He may be a little hyper at times but is still sweet and responsible with kids

Cacowgirl 09-03-2012 03:56 PM

He certainly has a better life now. Glad you took him on as a project & he is responding.

Chevaux 09-03-2012 04:51 PM

He's not a bad looking horse now he's getting some weight on him. Good for you.

deserthorsewoman 09-03-2012 04:53 PM

I rented a barn at a big standardbred place. In these 8 years I've seen a lot, and I mean a lot, of how they work their horses. It's not always pretty.
But usually, these horses, once they have their own person, will be just BIG puppydogs.
I had two, and I'd get another in a heartbeat.
And, they're usually easy keepers, can thrive off of good hay alone.

You did a pretty good job rehabbing him so far, tho he still could use a bit more flesh. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Horseychick94 09-03-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1670145)
I rented a barn at a big standardbred place. In these 8 years I've seen a lot, and I mean a lot, of how they work their horses. It's not always pretty.
But usually, these horses, once they have their own person, will be just BIG puppydogs.
I had two, and I'd get another in a heartbeat.
And, they're usually easy keepers, can thrive off of good hay alone.

You did a pretty good job rehabbing him so far, tho he still could use a bit more flesh. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

So since you have seen some things, what would cause this guy to have pimple pit type scars in his nostrils? His breathing is very stuffy. He will take a deep breath in through his nose and mouth, it will make a horrible burpy/gurgly sound, then he will do the nose blowing thing that horses do. We are pretty sure he has ulcers and he was a lasix horse since his lungs bled

Horseychick94 09-03-2012 11:05 PM

Note: this horse raced right up until I got him